Hard and big! (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

shilbert said:
With standardizations come the need to have a RoadMap. I am in agreement that a "steering committee" should be formed that will plan, prioritize and implement new releases.

These plans should be made public and easily accessible so that the members of the communities can give input on the next step. Once people start having a say and feeling like they really matter, than the community will start growing. Buy In.

So what's the next step? Do we just need someone to step forward and start the initiative?

One of the other ideas I had was to create a Media Kit which would include a CD with the MP install file on it along with a "Quick Start" guide. I figure if we get it in the hands of the media, they'll play with it and of course, they'll like it and publish their experiences. The only issue is who would build and absord the cost of this? My next thought was to create a link on the SF page that was designed for MP reviewers which would have similiar information but just online.

In the US there is a cable channel called G4TechTV. They review a lot of open source work. If we could get a CD in their hands, that would get us a lot of eyeballs for less than $5 in material.

Again... just a thought.

shilbert

Portal Member
December 8, 2004
Indianapolis
EvilDreamer said:
shilbert said:
With standardizations come the need to have a RoadMap. I am in agreement that a "steering committee" should be formed that will plan, prioritize and implement new releases.

These plans should be made public and easily accessible so that the members of the communities can give input on the next step. Once people start having a say and feeling like they really matter, than the community will start growing. Buy In.

So what's the next step? Do we just need someone to step forward and start the initiative?

One of the other ideas I had was to create a Media Kit which would include a CD with the MP install file on it along with a "Quick Start" guide. I figure if we get it in the hands of the media, they'll play with it and of course, they'll like it and publish their experiences. The only issue is who would build and absord the cost of this? My next thought was to create a link on the SF page that was designed for MP reviewers which would have similiar information but just online.

In the US there is a cable channel called G4TechTV. They review a lot of open source work. If we could get a CD in their hands, that would get us a lot of eyeballs for less than $5 in material.

Again... just a thought.

EvilDreamer,

Your ideas are good, great in fact. But I think the project has some maturing to do before it can really procede. Perhaps more visual organization of a road map. Once you have the documentation and a plan, than I think you will find people start latching on to it.

I saw a British Magazine, can't remember the name right now that did a little walk through on Media Portal this month. I thought that was cool.

Stuart

A

Anonymous

shilbert said:
Your ideas are good, great in fact. But I think the project has some maturing to do before it can really procede. Perhaps more visual organization of a road map. Once you have the documentation and a plan, than I think you will find people start latching on to it.

I agree completely. But what comes first, the chicken or the egg? My point in asking such a stupid question is that in order to evangelise a robust, mature product a strategy needs to be created. That stratgey and resulting roadmap will ensure that when we do have a robust, mature product that we can adequately evangelise it.

The ideas I threw out were ways we could execute parts of a strategy. If we want to do this right, we need to build a roadmap that the stakeholders (to be defined) can agree on. My ideas as a marketer and the ideas of a developer may be close but probably aren't the same. This is a developer lead project (as are most open source projects.) If I were one of those developers, I'd be very sensitive to someone coming in and trying to create a roadmap. I think portions of a roadmap exist (the infamous todo list) and I think a good place to start might be to tackle that list and try to make it a little more coherent. If the developers approve, of course. I'm sure if you ask frodo, he has a pretty clear roadmap in his head.

So I guess I am saying this is an area/project that we would need to tred lightly in and proceed slowly...

Thoughts?

A

Anonymous

I say with the permission of Frodo, they get free-codecs.com, and doom9 to do a little post about the project with the next release. Of course it may not be where Frodo wants it to be for large publicity. also, I'm pretty sure once MPortal reaches 1.0 tomshardware and other magazines will do an article too. Just as they have done for XMBC. Im sure certain eyes are watching this dev too. But Frodo knows better than me, so maybe he can fill in whats in the works, as I have noticed he and MrMario have not posted in this thread.

A

Anonymous

b01 said:
Im sure certain eyes are watching this dev too. But Frodo knows better than me, so maybe he can fill in whats in the works, as I have noticed he and MrMario have not posted in this thread.

I agree and I have also noticed that certain voices have not weighed in on the issue that should. I guess that's why I suggested the cautionary route.

In the meantime I will just sit back and enjoy the product.

Cheers!

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I personaly do not see why my voice was needed here.
    But sure, go ahead and spread the word.

A

Anonymous

MrMario64 said:
    I personaly do not see why my voice was needed here.
    But sure, go ahead and spread the word.

Moral support ;)

We do not need permission to spread the word. That is the good thing about a community like this, we all help out where we see fit. Since the work of developing an application like this is time consuming work frodo and mario should focus on that. It is no longer "their" project (sorry guys ;) ) but rather belongs to all of us in some way. What I am trying to say is that we as a community makes this project blossom and we also make it better by contributing what we can do better then others. If we want to do something we can/should not sit back and wait for others to start it, if you have the knowledge do it yourself and if it is a good idea others will follow. Whith that speach I will end this little rant :)

I think that many magazines simply don't know about MP yet otherwhise they would write about it. Seriously what magazine would be so incompentent that they would not write about a free choice that is better then many other commersial products? It all boil down to that they don't know... otherwhise they need new writers with some knowledge in that area. I for one would get anoyed if a magazine would not mention MP in an aricle about htpc. If you are a person that writes for magazine do write about it, that way you will help speed up things and bring people here. That way you will probably gain a lot of karma points and good things will happen ;)

Bla bla bla ciao :)

vbgeezer

Portal Pro
    December 18, 2004
    Auckland, New Zealand
    happy to help

Only had MP for about 3-4 days and aleady truned my back on Meedio (which I paid for!!!) MP is much better, more stable and has MUCH more potential. You guys seem to really get thorugh the work fast too - a big bonus. I agree we need some very clear docs on

Getting Started
    Product Tour ( any flash developers amongst us?)
    Screen shots

The front page on the web site nealry put me off. I thought it was what I wanted but could not EASILY get

List of features
    List of coming soon or in devlepment
    Screen shots
    Supported hardware list

Not trying to bag the site but these things are too hard to find. Just fixing that would catch many passing browser who are not as persistant as me.

I love the product and would love to help. As a software developer and development manager for the past 17 years I would be happy to get my hands dirty and need a toy project to keep me out of trouble ;)

So, if you wnat me, just ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom