[fixed] Hardcoded Labels in Music Now Playing/Overlays (1 Viewer)

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    However, there are already many other places where we must all leave space for translations of labels. This is nothing new or different than what we do in many xmls. Take for example TVSeries Episode List in StreamedMP skin :p You add those nice blue labels for Aired, Rating, Writer, Director and must leave space for localization. How would it be any different if you choose to display Track, Year or Duration?

Hi Dadeo, for those values in tvseries/streamedmp it was best to have as seperate properties to each value so we can have left aligned under each other which looks way cooler and neater.... To display the odd label here or there though you dont want to provide space for translations and take into account scaling as well e.g.

Lets say you want to join a few strings together like so in mymusic:

Track: #Play.Current.Track | Duration: #Play.Current.Duration ==> Track: 03 | Duration: 05:00

Firstly you need to use a localised string for "Track" and "Duration" as seperate label controls and then take into account super long translations. To code this so it all displays on one line like before would be impossible. You would probably end up something like this:

Code:
    Track:               03 |         Duration:                    05:00

This also assumes the ":" is part of the localised strings which it may not be, otherwise we need to create 6 label controls!

This is why I think if the change is done, a new skin function be added so that functionality isnt lost. And your most likely right, this is probably why it was hardcoded.

Another way to get around this issue is to wrap localized strings with a keyword so in code, it can do a replace e.g.

<label>localize(xxx): #Play.Current.Track | localize(yyy): #Play.Current.Duration</label>

I would be willing to add the code changes for whatever way we can decide on whats best. After 1.1.0 of course :)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yep I know. However, the case you use as an example is mainly used for media overlays when music or video is playing.

Skiinners have the option to display the labels in a non-scrolling format, as some skins have already done in their own media overlays. I can understand that Track is not obvious, however it applies only to music overlays, while video and TV overlays are much more commonly used (for MovPics, TVSeries, Videos, etc) Users I have had feedback from, find the scrolling Duration and Year labels annoying as it takes much longer to see the data, and they can usually recognize a Year or Duration in this context.

However, I am not arguing with your point, I agree with it. It is an intelligent long term and 'proper' solution imo. I appreciate your proposal. Unfortunately it means we will be stuck with the hard coded labels at least until after MP 1.1.0, because what you propose is a new feature. And it is not even certain that such new features will be considered after MP 1.1.0.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Please note, hard coded labels have been removed in MP 1.1.0 RC3 as of SVN 25661. See the Skin Changes Wiki Page

Hopefully Damien's proposal will be considered/implemented as soon as the feature freeze is lifted.

EDIT: Marked the thread as 'fixed'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom