[Question] - Hardware Requirements for HD streaming | Page 2

Discussion in 'MPExtended' started by hairlesshobo, November 28, 2012.

1. hairlesshobo
    • Premium Supporter

hairlesshobo MP Donator

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    I just did a little research and it appears that the only major difference between my X2 and my parent's Phenom X4 is that the X4 has SSE4a and the X2 does not. That mixed with the additional cores and higher frequency, definitely explains the massive performance improvements. This leads me to believe that SSE4 has a significant impact when it comes to transcoding performance for ffmpeg (or likely any encoders that are encoding to x264, such as HandBrake) The processor I am looking at (FX-8120) is an 8 core and it has all of the following instruction sets:

• MMX
    • SSE
    • SSE2
    • SSE3
    • Supplemental SSE3
    • SSE4
    • SSE4a
    • AES instructions
    • Advanced Bit Manipulation
    • Advanced Vector Extensions
    • FMA4 instructions
    • XOP instructions
    • AMD64 technology
    • Virtualization technology
    • Enhanced Virus Protection
    • Turbo Core 2.0 technology
    Between the SSE4 and the AVX, and the 8 cores, I would image that it would work wonderfully for transcoding multiple HD streams simultaneously. Now the hard part.. come up with the money :D

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!