Hauppauge HD-PVR & Colossus Support (10 Viewers)

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks Sasha! I appreciate all you help! I am new to both MySQL or SQL and to be honest just want to do this small task of the channels changes in an automated way. Let me see if I can learn to change your SQL statement to a MySQL statement and run it. By the way, how does the statement and SQL run know where to access the channels. Does one open the channels file and then run the query? Again, thanks!

Sorry, I don't have MySQL running here, not to mention having a TV-Server database in it, so I can't readily test a mysql command, and it would definitely take a few tries to get it right.

In the case of the sqlcmd command I proposed earlier, the logic of where to find the channel configuration information is all embedded in the query. The fields you need to update (videoSource and audioSource) are in a table called TuningDetail. Literally everything in the query after the first WHERE clause serves to restrict the channels that will be modified so that you don't inadvertently update the videoSource and audioSource for a channel associated with another card.

The web is full of great introductions, tutorials, and references to the SQL data manipulation language that are worth taking a look at--I am not ashamed to admit that I use them on a pretty regular basis, since my SQL skills are usually on the rusty side. Access is also a great tool for helping you gain proficiency with the language. You can create some pretty involved queries in the GUI's query designer, and then switch over to SQL view to see the SQL statement representation of your query for inspection or even modification, and then quickly go to data view to see the effects of your work.

Sasha

leigh75

Portal Member
    November 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have a copy of SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition from work after they updated to 2012 can I use that?

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    I have a copy of SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition from work after they updated to 2012 can I use that?

Almost certainly. Don't get too carried away installing all the various services though--you don't need them, and you'll just slow down your machine.

Sasha

leigh75

Portal Member
    November 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks I just did an upgrade so I'm starting fresh here so I have a clean system as of right now!

mysticgeek

April 8, 2012
    Home Country
    I have a Hauppauge HD PVR Colossus card. I cannot get it to recognize my Sony Streaming Player...which is Sony's set top Internet streaming box via HDMI.

I see it boot, but after that only a black screen. I have tried various video out settings and nothing is working. Any suggestions? THanks.

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    I have a Hauppauge HD PVR Colossus card. I cannot get it to recognize my Sony Streaming Player...which is Sony's set top Internet streaming box via HDMI.

I see it boot, but after that only a black screen. I have tried various video out settings and nothing is working. Any suggestions? THanks.

I think what's going on here is that the Sony box is bringing up HDCP on its HDMI interface at some point after boot. As I recall, the Colossus' behavior when presented with an HDCP-enabled HDMI stream is to simply provide a black screen. So, you'd need to make the HDCP go away.

mysticgeek...... You will need a HDMI to DVI converter (small) device, this device will split the video/audio then integrate back again by using SPDIF as the audio output from the player. Check out this link. http://www.hdfury.com/is-our-picture-quality-making-legal-problems/

Good luck!

I don't think there's anything especially useful about a HDMI to DVI converter. In fact, whether the audio stream comes in over the HDMI connector or the TOSLink one is of little consequence to the Colossus and MediaPortal. However, in the case of the HDMI to DVI converter in the video on the provided link, the device being presented seems to have a nice side effect: removing HDCP. I'm not especially up on the details surrounding HDCP or the issues associated with marketing devices as HDCP strippers, but there does seem to be a handful of devices that do the job. Most seem to be masquerade as devices that do other things, such as DVI amplifiers, HDMI to DVI and S/PDIF converters, HDMI switches, or something similar, but that's typically just a thinly veiled front for their real purpose.

I don't claim to fully understand what the HDfury folks are up to. Early HDfury (i.e., 1/2/3) devices were basically marketed as products that took DVI or HDMI inputs, including those which are HDCP-enabled, and produced an analog output (RGB or component), with the stated intention of allowing digital sources to be used with analog display devices. In the case of the HDfury4, it sounds like they're up to something a bit more complex, offering a digital output as well as some new advertised capabilities, such as performing out of band 3D-encoding for high refresh rate displays. It is not clear to me whether or not the device actually removes HDCP, and if it does, if the digital output is also enabled when it is doing so.

Sasha

ltpr

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Home Country
    All I can say, it's working just fine for me. Without this device I could not have my cable and/or gaming work properly. Good luck!

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    All I can say, it's working just fine for me. Without this device I could not have my cable and/or gaming work properly. Good luck!

Oh, I don't doubt it... are you using the Cables Unlimited one? Also, are you able to support resolution changes on the fly within TV-Server on your Colossus?

Sasha

ltpr

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Home Country
    Sasha --- I am using one from Monoprice yet it's basically identical functionality as that of Cables Unlimited (plus it's cheaper). What do you mean by "resolution changes on the fly". I update all info via the setup process.

On another point I want to make sure people know that the pin code described for video are incorrect. The audio ones are correct!

The video pins should be the following, this is what is setup within my MP selections:
    0 = Tuner
    1 = CVBS #1
    2 = CVBS #2
    3 = CVBS #3
    4 = SVHS #1
    5 = SVHS #2
    6 = SVHS #3
    7 = RGB #1
    8 = RGB #2
    9 = RGB #3
    10 = YRYBY #1
    11 = YRYBY #2