Hauppauge HD-PVR & Colossus Support (2 Viewers)

ltpr

Portal Pro
March 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
For quick edits, the change can be made right from the command line without even bothering with Access, using the sqlcmd (SQL Server) or mysql (MySQL) command line utilities. Consider the former, as an example. Simply remove the "dbo_" prefixes from all the table names that Access likes to add, and pack everything into a single command line:

Code:
sqlcmd -d MpTvDb -Q "UPDATE TuningDetail SET videoSource = 10, audioSource = 9 WHERE idChannel IN (SELECT Channel.idChannel FROM Channel INNER JOIN ChannelMap ON Channel.idChannel = ChannelMap.idChannel WHERE (((ChannelMap.idCard)=1)));"

==================

I ran the sql and ran into this error...Thoughts? Thank you! [ i use navicat premium]

======
[SQL] sqlcmd -d MpTvDb -Q "UPDATE TuningDetail SET videoSource = 10, audioSource = 9 WHERE idChannel IN (SELECT Channel.idChannel FROM Channel INNER JOIN ChannelMap ON Channel.idChannel = ChannelMap.idChannel WHERE (((ChannelMap.idCard)=4)));"

[Err] 1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'sqlcmd -d MpTvDb -Q "UPDATE TuningDetail SET videoSource = 10, audioSource = 9 W' at line 1

ltpr

Portal Pro
March 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Home Country
Do I need to do anything inside the TV3Blaster plugin for IR server inside of TV Server Config? (under the config for plugin there are 3 windows for plugin setup, macros, and, IR commends) Thank you! Right now all is blank.

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    I'm in Canada and on Rogers Cable so I do have the same provider for all and get my EPG from SchedulesDirect so this would be the only way for me! Its just my luck that I find this out after Buying a new colossus yesterday. Then again three tuners are better then two. I will give this a shot and see if it works and thank you for your help! One last thing do I have to set my audio back to aotomatic?

I think it would be difficult to have multiple channel lineups managed by the SchedulesDirect plugin, which would be necessary to accommodate multiple different capture device configurations in the fashion intended by TV-Server; I get the impression that the SchedulesDirect plugin really was never intended to be used that way. You might be able to do this with mc2xml/xmltv since mc2xml can grab SchedulesDirect EPG data, but it would undoubtedly be more work, since the SchedulesDirect plugin, when used as intended is a real breeze to get working.

Returning to the topic of pin mapping though, let's look more closely at what happens when you use the automatic audio (audioSource = 0) option. Specifically, we're looking at an excerpt from PerformTuning() in TvEngine3\TVLibrary\TVLibrary\Implementations\Analog\Graphs\HDPVR\TVCardHDPVR.cs:

Code:
    if (analogChannel.AudioSource == AnalogChannel.AudioInputType.Automatic)
    {
        if (_videoPinRelatedAudioMap.ContainsKey(analogChannel.VideoSource))
        {
            Log.Log.WriteFile("HDPVR:  audio input -> (auto)");
            crossBarFilter.Route(_audioOutPinIndex, _videoPinRelatedAudioMap[analogChannel.VideoSource]);
        }
    }

Clearly, all the option does is set the audio pin to whatever value is in the related attribute. In the case of both the HD-PVR and the Colossus, the component input's related audio source is line in, so that won't produce the result you want out of the box.

As an alternative to the approach I suggested earlier, in which you would add an audio mapping to the HD-PVR configuration, you could change the related audio pin for the component video mapping for both your HD-PVR and Colossus cards.

For the Colossus cards:

Code:
        <videoPin type="10" index="1" related="9" />

For the HD-PVR:

Code:
        <videoPin type="10" index="0" related="3" />

By doing this, when you choose videoSource = 10 (component) and audioSource = 0 (automatic), you will end up using the TOSLink audio input because that's the related audio source for component input. You're achieving the same effect that I described before, but going about it in a slightly different way. To use an old Perl adage, there's more than one way to do it.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your new Colossus. I started out with a Colossus, and then tried switching to HD-PVRs because I wanted more tuners and didn't have slots for more Colossus cards (and originally didn't want to deal with a mix of devices, either). It was nothing but a disappointment. One of the HD-PVRs was DOA, and all of them were unreliable, frequently locking up and requiring power cycles and corresponding TV-Server restarts on at least a daily basis. I ended up building a new machine just so I could accommodate enough Colossus cards, and though I'm still working through some issues, the improvement provided by the Colossus cards over the HD-PVRs is nothing short of amazing.

Sasha

ltpr

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Home Country
    [
    I think it would be difficult to have multiple channel lineups managed by the SchedulesDirect plugin, which would be necessary to accommodate multiple different capture device configurations in the fashion intended by TV-Server; I get the impression that the SchedulesDirect plugin really was never intended to be used that way. You might be able to do this with mc2xml/xmltv since mc2xml can grab SchedulesDirect EPG data, but it would undoubtedly be more work, since the SchedulesDirect plugin, when used as intended is a real breeze to get working.
    ]

I actually have multiple channel lineups with Schedules Direct -- one for my colossus card (cable) and one for my sat and it works just fine. I also use and have enabled XmlTv.

leigh75

Portal Member
    November 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have to wait untill friday to try this out as my cable box is dead I need an SA 4250hd to change channels with firewire. I tryed the mc2xml rout before switching rca audio and buying the second colossus card to get5.1 audio. I have not yet a had a single proble with the hd-pvr but read all over about how bad it is. Then again I don't use the built in IR Blaster so that may be why.

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    For quick edits, the change can be made right from the command line without even bothering with Access, using the sqlcmd (SQL Server) or mysql (MySQL) command line utilities. Consider the former, as an example. Simply remove the "dbo_" prefixes from all the table names that Access likes to add, and pack everything into a single command line:

Code:
    sqlcmd -d MpTvDb -Q "UPDATE TuningDetail SET videoSource = 10, audioSource = 9 WHERE idChannel IN (SELECT Channel.idChannel FROM Channel INNER JOIN ChannelMap ON Channel.idChannel = ChannelMap.idChannel WHERE (((ChannelMap.idCard)=1)));"

==================

I ran the sql and ran into this error...Thoughts? Thank you! [ i use navicat premium]

======
    [SQL] sqlcmd -d MpTvDb -Q "UPDATE TuningDetail SET videoSource = 10, audioSource = 9 WHERE idChannel IN (SELECT Channel.idChannel FROM Channel INNER JOIN ChannelMap ON Channel.idChannel = ChannelMap.idChannel WHERE (((ChannelMap.idCard)=4)));"

[Err] 1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'sqlcmd -d MpTvDb -Q "UPDATE TuningDetail SET videoSource = 10, audioSource = 9 W' at line 1

sqlcmd is a command line utility that comes with, and is for use with Microsoft SQL Server. It looks like you are using MySQL though. You can do similar things using the mysql command line utility, but will have to use the appropriate parameters, and perhaps even massage the query a bit. Check out the mysql documentation (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysql.html) to get started.

Sasha

ltpr

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Home Country
    Thank you! I will check-inn again if any questions/comments. I will also check if I have/can use the MS SQL server.

ltpr

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Home Country

Code:

==================

======

sqlcmd is a command line utility that comes with, and is for use with Microsoft SQL Server. It looks like you are using MySQL though. You can do similar things using the mysql command line utility, but will have to use the appropriate parameters, and perhaps even massage the query a bit. Check out the mysql documentation (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysql.html) to get started.

Sasha

Sasha.... I checked and there is a free SQL Server 2012 (Express Edition)... http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/editions/express.aspx

Would this work? I can get the 32-bit version for either, LocalDB, Express (Database Only), Express with Tools, SQL Server Management Studio Express, or, the Express with Advanced Services version. Which could be used to run your script? Thanks!

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    Sasha.... I checked and there is a free SQL Server 2012 (Express Edition)... http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/editions/express.aspx

Would this work? I can get the 32-bit version for either, LocalDB, Express (Database Only), Express with Tools, SQL Server Management Studio Express, or, the Express with Advanced Services version. Which could be used to run your script? Thanks!

SQL Server Express, though free, is pretty powerful, and has become increasingly so over the last few years, to the point of being sufficient for a lot of small business applications that don't need five nines of reliability. Though any edition of SQL Server should work for TV-Server, even the Express edition is more than powerful enough. I have not tried SQL Server Express 2012, but am using SQL Server Express 2008 R2 SP1, as I haven't been able to find much here in either the wiki or forum referring to the 2012 version, whereas both the 2005 and 2008 versions are suggested in the wiki.

The most basic distribution of SQL Server Express will work fine, though the "with tools" version is nice since it comes bundled with SQL Server Management Studio, which is a rather useful administration tool.

You don't need SQL Server Express to do what you want to do, and in fact, if you already have a largely configured and working TV-Server setup, you'll have to go through some amount of effort to switch that will probably unjustified unless you have other sound motives to do so. I'm not trying to promote SQL Server at all in fact, it is just what I have set up in my installation, so I used it in my example. What I was trying to say though is that MySQL has a similar utility to SQL Servers's sqlcmd, called mysql, that would allow you to create a query that quickly updates your videoSource and audioSource values for a lot of channels all at once. The arguments to mysql differ a bit from those used by sqlcmd (e.g., mysql uses a "-e" option to do the same thing as sqlcmd's "-Q" option), but the spirit of it is very similar.

Sasha

ltpr

Portal Pro
    March 10, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Home Country
    Thanks Sasha! I appreciate all you help! I am new to both MySQL or SQL and to be honest just want to do this small task of the channels changes in an automated way. Let me see if I can learn to change your SQL statement to a MySQL statement and run it. By the way, how does the statement and SQL run know where to access the channels. Does one open the channels file and then run the query? Again, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom