Hauppauge Nova-T500 use too much CPU power... ?!? (1 Viewer)

pshdo

Portal Pro
February 5, 2005
Holbaek, Denmark
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2.0
Windows Version: XP Pro Dk, + SP2
CPU Type: AMD XP-M 2400 @ 2200 Passive cooler
HDD: 250Gb SATA
Memory: 512Mb Kingston
Motherboard: MSI Delta-FSR
Motherboard Chipset: KT880
Video Card: ATI 9600
Sound Card: Soundblaster Live!
Sound Card AC3: optical
Sound Card Driver: Kx project driver
1. TV Card: Hauppauge PVR150
1. TV Card Type: analog
1. TV Card Driver: newest official
2. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova-T 500
2. TV Card Type: Digital dual turner
2. TV Card Driver: newest official

Hello there.....

I have a strange problem that i need some pointers to how to correct them.....

MP is running fine, and works perfect....
When using my PWR150 for viewing i have 30-35% CPU usage
When using my PWR150 for recording i have 35-45% CPU usage
This is just fine.....

Then i bought a Nova-t 500 and installed it on the same machine, in the hope that it also would run fine, but this is getting me some problems i don´t know how to handle....

When using my Nova-t500 for viewing i have 32-100% cpu usage
(Only short time on 100%, and not enough to disturb the picture/sound)

When using my Nova-t500 for recording i have 15-100% cpu usage
(And mutch of the time it is at 100%, and the picture and sound drop out)

I have used HWClear to remove all Hauppauge drivers, and re-installed them with the Nova card first.....

My system is like this:
Windows XP PRO SP2
AMD XP Mobile 2400
512MB ram
SATA Harddrive
ATI Radeon 9600
Soundblaster Live! (with Kx project drivers)

What do you think i should look at to correct this problem.....
I have run the WindowsXP-KB896626-v2-x86 update from Microsoft, that should correct some DVB issues...

I would be really happy to get some pointers to solve this issue.....

Is i wrong of me to have had the idea, that the Nova-t should run just fine on my system.... ?
- the TV-transmissions is after all MPG2 (right ?), so i thought it would not use that mutch CPU-power at all..... (Not more than the PWR150 with the HW-encoder onboard anyway)

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
i have a Nova-T 500 also.. and i believe the issue is caused by poor card drivers / USB device drivers.

i also experienced the high cpu load.

pshdo

Portal Pro
February 5, 2005
Holbaek, Denmark
Hi there....
Thanks for the answer....

i have a Nova-T 500 also.. and i believe the issue is caused by poor card drivers / USB device drivers.

i also experienced the high cpu load.

Why do you think that it could be something with the USB drivers ??
- the Nova-t 500 is not a USB card....So i´m a little confused.....

An other thing is that Hauppauge say that the minimum hardware requirement is a 1700Mhz CPU.... so in fact they should have it running fine on a 1700 Mhz at the Hauppauge factory...... i think.....

What if.....
What if it is something with the lines, bitrate and VBR settings in MediaPortal.....
i think if the transmission is to be saved as close to directly as possible, then these settings perhaps should be exactly the right once, so the CPU don´t need to do any math on the recording......
- i don´t know if i´m making any sence at all, but i hope so.....:confused:

I have not tried Hauppauges own software, as it has messed my system up once before, when i first got mu PVR150 card...... but perhaps their own software actually can record without any problems ??
- have any one here tried that ??

Also on the KB896626 issue, if i don´t have this update installed my system locks up...... with this patch the system is running, but with a huge CPU load.....

I have also tried to apply the MCE RU2 patch as someone mentioned in the sticky above, but i can only get Windows to keep the .ax file, the .dll is switched when i reboot.... and as a result of that, my system crash within 2-3 minutes after booting....
So i have restored the old files again and now i´m back to running on the KB896626 patch......

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi Guys

Running at 2-5% cpu with timeshifting on, using 0.2.2.0 (without svn). do not understand why you have such high cpu, unless a conflict on usb ports usage.

This card is 2 USB TV Tuners on a PCI card with a onboard USB controller, so they react as USB items.

ps must update system specs, trying different dual tuners, to resolve resume problems from standby.

Regards and a happy New Year.

pshdo

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2005
    Holbaek, Denmark
    Hi there....

thanks for the answer...

This card is 2 USB TV Tuners on a PCI card with a onboard USB controller, so they react as USB items.

Ok, so this is why it was mentioned as perhaps a USB problem..... i see.....
    - now, i have to try to update USB drivers and stuff, to see if i can solve the problem......

Or perhaps i have to do a clean install of my system...... ??

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Why do you think that it could be something with the USB drivers ??
    - the Nova-t 500 is not a USB card....So i´m a little confused.....

i believe the tuners are actually USB devices stuck on a PCI card. you can see the usb chip on the card.

Ok, so this is why it was mentioned as perhaps a USB problem..... i see.....
    - now, i have to try to update USB drivers and stuff, to see if i can solve the problem......

Or perhaps i have to do a clean install of my system...... ??

i actually gave up with the card. it is now sitting in a tvserver. there was nothing i could do on the system to make it run smooth at all. i think it is down to the hauppauge drivers, so there is nothing to do until they either improve or replace them.

pshdo

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2005
    Holbaek, Denmark
    Hi there.....

i actually gave up with the card. it is now sitting in a tvserver. there was nothing i could do on the system to make it run smooth at all. i think it is down to the hauppauge drivers, so there is nothing to do until they either improve or replace them.

Then tell me:
    Is it running smooth in the TV-server, or is it just sitting there and not used......
    If it is running smooth in the TV-server, then what is the difference to the other system that you have tried it in ??

More CPU-power and more ram ??

I can see that PD is using a 4200 X2 processor + 2gb ram , so he have mutch more power than i have...

But i think it is strange that Hauppauge state that it is enough with a 1700Mhz processor om Windows XP, if that is not true at all.......

An other thing....
    Is there any place that i can find beta-drivers just to do the experiment....
    - i have some time ago seen a place with hauppauge PVR-x50 beta drivers, but i can´t find back to that place again.... :-(

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    the tvserver server is beta... so i don't use it in a "live" environment. i use it to test the builds and see how they run.

it's running in a windows2003 server, AMD 3200+, 512mb ram.

pshdo

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2005
    Holbaek, Denmark
    hi there......

Ok then, i did it the hard way, and completely re-installed my PC from scratch......
    I pulled out all extention-cards and re-installed Windows......
    Then i found all the newest drivers and installed them.....
    After that i installed my Nova-t 500 and it worked fine.....
    (about 40% cpu usage when both recording and viewing at the same time.....)

--- and then i got stupid.....:(

i installed my SB-live with the Kx drivers, and at the same time i installed by PVR150, and my ATI remote wonder.....
    And after all this the system again have problems with 100% cpu usage....
    - but not that mutch as it used to have.....
    Now it peeks at 100% once at about evert 30-50 sec. or so.......

Now i don´t see any other option than to do this all over again, and then insert and install on pice of hardware at the time...... :(

But the Nova-t 500 can actually work, i have now proof that it can be done.....
    I just hope that it turns out to be a faulty SB-live or RemoteWonder driver...
    - these i can live without in my system, but i still need my PVR150.....

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    well i don't have an SB-Live or RemoteWonder or PVR150 in my system, so that wasn't the cause of my high CPU load.

the only card i had was the Nova-T 500

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom