Hauppauge PVR-500 (1 Viewer)

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    I use two S-video inputs, and previously used 2 composite inputs.

Mixed them is possible, but not necessarly easy.

Each STB need to have it's own channel lineup (one with all the channels tuning S-VHS and other with all the channels tuning with Composite. If some channels are the same on both STBs, you need to Combine them in a single channel. Then MP keeps both tuning records (one for SVHS and other for Composite) but you see a single,"virtual", channel.

So the steps should be:
    1 - Add all channels for SVHS STB.
    2 - Add all channels for composite STB.
    3 - Combine the channels that are the same.

Also note that the IR Blaster needs to handle different codes for each blasters. ServerBlaster doesn't support this. You need to check if IR Server suite supports.

StaticMan

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I use S-Video on both and IR Server Suite works great.

My problem is I use the zap2it plugin to add/remove channels, so it only adds one set of channels for "svhsinput1".
    Can I still use this and create 2 sets of channels? Will I need to map every channel on Tuner1 to every channel on Tuner2?

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry I forgot to add that detail. I'm using set top boxes, so I'm wondering if TVS supports (or if anyone has it working) using both S-Videos ins (2 sat receivers) on a PVR-500

The answer to that is yes....keep seeing people having this problem but I have had TV3, 2 x Sat STBs feeding SVHS inputs on a PVR-500 since Feb at least and never had a problem setting it, done it a few times since as well.

I dont use IR to control the STBs but a USB device that changes channel via RF2 input on the Sky STB's (http://www.dusky-control.com/) and use XMLTV fro the guide data...not sure how ZapIt works.

Trevor

StaticMan

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    So I'm guessing the xmltv plugin allows you to grab channel data for both tuners, and then you manually combine the channels from both cards?

When I use zap2it it grabs all the channels, and I specify Svhsimput1 and the input source. I guess there is no way to make it grab a set of channels for each card.

This is crazy, there's got to be an easier way of doing this. There needs to be an options to just map card2 to card1.

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    cant easliy look at how ZapIt does it but from what I understand about the DB layout you should still only get a single soure of channels, Analog in you case.

When you edit a channel the General Tab should have the name, and the analog tab should have the channel number in Channel and the source as SVHS #1, all other tabs when selected you say 'no tuning data available for this channel'?

In TV Mapping, assuming you have mapped no channels yet, you should see the full list on channels on the left and blank for boths cards (PVR-500 is should as 2 seperate cards)?

All I do is select all channels and hit the '>>' button, select 2nd card and do the same, are you saying that after you have mapped the channels to card 1 and then selected card 2 there are no channels displayed on the left to map to card 2 or you can but then when MP uses card 2 you just get a blank screen?

If the second option then I am confused as it all works here as both cards accept input from SVHS #1.

Trevor

StaticMan

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    trevor,

It's the second option. Everything is SVHS # 1. All channels are mapped to both cards (PVR-500 seen as 2 separate cards), but when "card 2" is used I just get a blank screen. Maybe it's the way the zap2it plugin populates the db.

I'll try using the xmltv plugin instead and see if it is any different.

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    May be a card driver issue....to check you could create a new channel, copy of existing but change the name and set the video source to SVHS #2, map it to card 2 only and try tuning it - that at prove that it is SVHS #2 that is required.

I am using driver versions 2.0.48.24227 (15/08/2006) and only have the drivers installed.

Trevor

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    trevor,

It's the second option. Everything is SVHS # 1. All channels are mapped to both cards (PVR-500 seen as 2 separate cards), but when "card 2" is used I just get a blank screen. Maybe it's the way the zap2it plugin populates the db.

I'll try using the xmltv plugin instead and see if it is any different.

@StaticMan

Have you you go any further with this problem?

Trevor

StaticMan

Portal Pro
    May 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I haven't and pulled out all my hair.

The SVHS#2 test did not work.
    I also tried disabling the zap2it plugin and using xmltv to populate the channels. It behaves the same way. I've tried the driver you're using and about 3 others no go.

My next step is to delete the database and try again. Maybe there's something left in the database that's stopping this from working.

I know the card itself is working because I norton ghost my MCE image back onto the machine and get dual tuners without issue.

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    I haven't and pulled out all my hair.

The SVHS#2 test did not work.
    I also tried disabling the zap2it plugin and using xmltv to populate the channels. It behaves the same way. I've tried the driver you're using and about 3 others no go.

My next step is to delete the database and try again. Maybe there's something left in the database that's stopping this from working.

I know the card itself is working because I norton ghost my MCE image back onto the machine and get dual tuners without issue.

This is intriguing me as much as it frustrating you, I have this working fine and did a complete MP/TV3 without effecting things.

All I can offer is what I would do now; you might have done this already if so I apologise.
    From TVSetup go to each card and ‘Add SVHS/VHS channels’, this should add 9 extra channels for each card that will appear at the top of your channels list in the TV Channels section - CVBS#1-3 on x, SVHS#1-3 on x, and RGB#1-3 on x – with x being the card no. 1 & 2 in your case I would guess.
    From here I would preview all the new channels, starting with the SVHS#1 on both cards, when/if you get a picture id the card/STB by manually calling up a menu or similar on the STB.

This should tell you which input each card is using and it should be SVHS#1 for both cards. When I do this I get picture on SVHS# on both cards, I do not keep these channels in the DB I only used them for testing.

This is what I did when I first put the system together so identify which STB went to what card (cables everywhere at the time!) and things have worked ever since.

Would be interested in the results…

Cheers

Trevor

Users who are viewing this thread