[no Bug] Hauppauge WinTV Nova-S Plus fails (1 Viewer)

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MediaPortal Version: MP1 1.1.2
    MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP
    Windows Version: Vista
    CPU Type: Intel Core2 Duo 6550
    HDD: OCZ Vertex 32GB
    Memory: 2GB DDR2
    Motherboard: Intel DG 45ID
    Video Card: Onboard
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card: Onboard
    Sound Card AC3: optical
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV Nova-S Plus
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver: 2.122
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow tryouts beta 7
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow tryouts beta 7
    h.264 Video Codec: DIVX plus
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2E
    HTPC Case: mCubed HFX Mini
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: Logitech Harmony One
    TV: LG 50PK350
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi guys,

I installed a recent SVN (27927) of TV server, and it seems like it wont accept my faithful WinTV Nova anymore. Drivers are up to date, and everything works well with 1.1.5 (SVN 26783).

Logs are attached.

Kind regards,
    splatterpop

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Please explain what the symptoms are.

Did you do a clean install or an update?

The most likely cause of this is the hauppauge TV software/service running, which locks the card. I would do a complete cleanup of all hauppauge software, then reinstall the drivers by simply getting the device manager to locate them on the hauppage disk (or folder if you have downloaded the latest version).

Mark

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Mark

I completely agree. It looks like the Hauppauge software has been installed or upgraded. On top of the services that can lock the tuner, their software seems to also install a TsWriter that can mess up our one. That looks to be what has happened here - TV Server is failing to build the tuner graph because it can't insert TsWriter. Best to use *only* MP or *only* WinTV...

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Mark

I completely agree. It looks like the Hauppauge software has been installed or upgraded. On top of the services that can lock the tuner, their software seems to also install a TsWriter that can mess up our one. That looks to be what has happened here - TV Server is failing to build the tuner graph because it can't insert TsWriter. Best to use *only* MP or *only* WinTV...

Sorry but your assumption is wrong. WinTV is not installed on my system. In that case, with the card locked, wouldn't the problem occur also with the other version? I strongly believe so. But this version is running absolutely fine.

@Mark, for installation I did a normal upgrade. I also tried cleaning the TV database prior to installation, same result. I then installed the latest WinTV package from Hauppauge (drivers part only) and retried, same result also. I did not try a fresh install of MP though. I will do so and post the results.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, well my comment still stands - your problem is with TsWriter. Did you upgrade it (unreg, re-reg the new version) when you upgraded to 27927? There are many changes to TsWriter between those two versions. In particular unicode file name support and Miroslav's stuttering fix...

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At least not manually, since I used the installer for upgrading. Would you agree with Mark that a fresh install (with prior uninstall) would help? Or are there any extra steps?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Potentially, yes. To save yourself some time you might try replacing your TsWriter first to see if that fixes your problem.

1. Stop the TV Service.
    2. Open a command line (terminal).
    3. Enter the command cd "<TV Server install directory>".
    4. Enter the command regsvr32 /u TsWriter.ax.
    5. Download and extract the attached TsWriter.ax filter into your TV Server install folder.
    6. In your command line enter regsvr32 TsWriter.ax.
    7. Start TV Service.

After that, if the problem is still occurring then I would do what Mark suggested.

Attachments

• TsWriter.zip
      114.7 KB

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Mark

Sorry but your assumption is wrong. WinTV is not installed on my system. In that case, with the card locked, wouldn't the problem occur also with the other version? I strongly believe so. But this version is running absolutely fine.

@Mark, for installation I did a normal upgrade. I also tried cleaning the TV database prior to installation, same result. I then installed the latest WinTV package from Hauppauge (drivers part only) and retried, same result also. I did not try a fresh install of MP though. I will do so and post the results.

Hi,

You might be surprised. I had a similar problem a little while ago, and I didn't think I had WinTV installed. However, there was a background service running which locked one of my three Hauppauge cards (strange that it did not lock all of them). I still think you should check which services are running before dismissing this as a possible cause, particularly because my symptoms were so similar to your own.

Mark

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks mark, I will check on this.

Potentially, yes. To save yourself some time you might try replacing your TsWriter first to see if that fixes your problem.

1. Stop the TV Service.
    2. Open a command line (terminal).
    3. Enter the command cd "<TV Server install directory>".
    4. Enter the command regsvr32 /u TsWriter.ax.
    5. Download and extract the attached TsWriter.ax filter into your TV Server install folder.
    6. In your command line enter regsvr32 TsWriter.ax.
    7. Start TV Service.

After that, if the problem is still occurring then I would do what Mark suggested.

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, is which way is the tswriter you sent different from that one in the SVN?

splatterpop

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2007
    planet ASPARAGUS
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Success at last. I was missing the VC2010 redistributables. In addition to that, a full reinstall was necessary. Now everything is working fine.

I did not have to switch tswriter.ax for mm1352000's version. Also there was no WinTV related service running, so I can confirm that it is safe to install "drivers only" from the current WinTV distribution.

Thanks everybody!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom