Having real trouble installing Media Portal 2 (1 Viewer)

user909

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Hello everyone. I have just registered and this is my first post.

If you can help me I would be very grateful, but please bear in mind I know almost nothing about computers - hardware or software. I have limited technical skills and most computer terms go right over my head. I am having real trouble installing Media Portal 2. I bought a DVB-T2 stick and the supplied software is just awful - to the point where it is unusable. I wanted MP2 for its tuner/recording abilities. Everything else it does will be a major bonus.

I managed to install MP1 and it worked very well but, during scan, it would not see any DVB-T2/HD channels in any of the multiplexes available to me. I assumed MP2 - being more up-to-date - would have no such problem. But MP2 simply will not install - I get error codes 2503 followed by 2502. I looked at the WiKi page and all the neccessary software is already on my machine.

I tried compatibility solutions but Windows 10 reports MP2's install application as 'incompatible'.

I do not know what else to do.

My system: Windows 10 (auto updated) - Pentium G 64-bit processor - 64-bit OS - 8GB memory - Generic DVB-T2 USB stick (ebay £15)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

I assumed MP2 - being more up-to-date - would have no such problem.
    Ahhh, that's not a valid assumption. ;)
    MP1 is the mature product which most people are using.
    MP2 is a work in progress. It does some things better than MP1, but currently TV support is not one of them (in my opinion).

My advice would be to go back to MP1. If you do that I can help you to sort out the DVB-T2 channel issues. I can't help you with MP2 at all (though other people may be able to).

Regards,
    mm

user909

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Thank you for the very quick reply, mm.

I can reinstall Media Portal - that's not beyond me, I'm glad to say. I tried and failed to get it to see any HD stations - though all the Freeview (England/UK) SD channels were visible within a few minutes.

More information: Media Portal 1 now back in. I should add that I looked online for help with HD channels, but found none (or none I could understand).

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I tried and failed to get it to see any HD options - though all the Freeview (England/UK) SD channels were visible within a few minutes.
    I suspect that fixing this will involve one of 2 things:
    1. Corrections to tuning details (frequencies) for your area.
    2. An increase to the tune timeout setting. Many cheap DVB-T2 tuners seem to be built on a chipset that takes awhile to tune DVB-T2. This has been reported and diagnosed on this forum before.

user909

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Increased the Tune setting to 10 seconds. It worked. All HD channels are working and the quality looks very good indeed. This is probably the most impressive (and most helpful) response I've seen to any post I've made on any technical forum. Thank you very much.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Great! :)

Increased the Tune setting to 10 seconds.
    The lower you can set it the better. If I recall correctly, other people found that 3 seconds is adequate. 5 seconds should definitely be safe.

This is probably the most impressive (and most helpful) response I've seen to any post I've made on any technical forum. Thank you very much.
    Wow, thank you for the compliment. I'm happy to have been able to help.
    Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. :)

user909

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    The lower you can set it the better. If I recall correctly, other people found that 3 seconds is adequate. 5 seconds should definitely be safe.

Should I retune/rescan? I simply didn't know which setting to use.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Should I retune/rescan? I simply didn't know which setting to use.
    No need to retune/rescan. You can just knock the setting down until you find that channels don't work reliably. If you knock it down too low you will get a "no signal" error when you try to view the channel.

If you're still not sure, 5 seconds should be safe... and it isn't the end of the world if you stay with 10.

user909

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Set at 5 secs. Trimmed away all unwanted channels. Thank you.

One question. Can I set record quality/format, or is it automatic? I have set the folder but I see no quality/format options.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    One question. Can I set record quality/format, or is it automatic? I have set the folder but I see no quality/format options.
    It is automatic. MediaPortal records exactly what is broadcast.
    If you want to reduce the size of recordings or swap to a different container format (eg. MKV, MP4) you can use 3rd party tools such as MCEBuddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom