[confirm] HCWHelper chrashes with Hauppage IR.exe (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    wjw
    I could be wrong, but I think the point that mp-user was trying to make is that he/she wants to be able to use the remote in Windows to launch applications as well as within MP. Having the remote setup in MP configuration will only make it work in MP, not in Windows...

tenuhseegeek
    Cheers for the update. I installed my Nova S Plus last night and intended to try and troubleshoot this issue, however something else came up. Hopefully I'll be able to do something more this evening. By the way, a tip that may prove useful for troubleshooting: if you're ever not sure whether an IR remote is working then you can find out with a webcam. Start viewing the webcam stream, then point the remote at the webcam and press buttons. If the remote is working then you should see light being emitted from the IR transmitter LED. This is a *very* handy trick which has helped me confirm I'm not going insane on a number of occasions! :D

tenuhseegeek

Portal Member
    May 2, 2011
    TN
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    yeah the remote works, I got one better... I use my camera on my phone. I think it is the cable set that plugs into the back of the card. Have sent my info off to Hauppauge and am (impatiently) waiting for new cable to test. Thanks for the tip...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I will get the new cable and report back once I get this part hammered out. I hope it is something this simple as unplugging and plugging in a new cable. [fingers crossed]

Don't forget to reboot, when I did any testing with the hauppauge remote, this was required to get the receiver activated for me with a T500 card.

mp-user

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2008
    AW: HCWHelper chrashes with Hauppage IR.exe

mm1352000 was right, I've wanted to use the remote for other stuff like starting different application (like MP) and hibernating the system (even if MP isn't started). This was possible via IR.exe (quite a lot possibitlies via IR.ini - just in case you need this some day) until the last update from Hauppage.

ONLY with the latest drivers/IR.exe HCWHelper.exe chrashes (don't forget to do so mm1352000, if you want to reproduce this issue).
    If MP cannot use the remote while IR.exe is on, this should be checked and the remote should be disabled unto the next start of MP (as currently HCWHelper chrashes again and again until you close MP).

Thanks for your time and efforts!
    mp-user

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: AW: HCWHelper chrashes with Hauppage IR.exe

Hi folks

ONLY with the latest drivers/IR.exe HCWHelper.exe chrashes (don't forget to do so mm1352000, if you want to reproduce this issue).
    Ah, I missed that if you had mentioned it earlier. I have certainly been able to reproduce crashes, although I'm not sure if they are the kind of crashes you're referring to. I suspect Hauppauge have changed things in their new interfaces (see the note here on the software development kit page). Our latest copy of their SDK is from 2007, so I suspect it is out of date, and I've requested a copy of their latest one...

If MP cannot use the remote while IR.exe is on, this should be checked and the remote should be disabled unto the next start of MP (as currently HCWHelper chrashes again and again until you close MP).
    I'm still trying to familiarise myself with the remote plugins code. I've never looked at it as I'm more of a TV Server guy and I've always used EventGhost to handle my remotes (so that I can get the remote to work in any application and do different things with the same buttons depending on the context ;)).

@mp-user: I suggest for the moment that you downgrade your driver/ir.exe/HCWHelper.exe if older versions work. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from Hauppauge, but if they take too long we won't be able to support their new interface in 1.2.0... :(

tenuhseegeek

Portal Member
    May 2, 2011
    TN
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    just a follow up on what I found...

I will get the new cable and report back once I get this part hammered out. I hope it is something this simple as unplugging and plugging in a new cable. [fingers crossed]

I received the cable this afternoon, plugged in and rebooted. Tested and works fine [happy dance]. I also have the blaster portion working and verified that I DO NOT need IR.exe running. I killed it and tested and works fine, blaster works fine as well on Dish Network 7000 DVR. Just wanted to follow up and let others know what I ran into. Now to get audio working through Colossus card, in another post... Thanks guys!

mp-user

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2008

As written before you don't NEED IR.exe for getting the remote to work with MP. It's the other way around: with latest drivers/IR.exe running you cannot use the remote in MP.
    The reasons for this bug threads are:
    - it works with earlier versions of drivers/IR.exe
    - it would be good if it would work because you can use IR.exe (via IR.ini) to do a lot of stuff outside of MP
    - HCWHelper keeps chrashing on and on instead of disabling the remote support for the current session

mm1352000: Any answers from Hauppauge? Any insights into the remote plugins code, yet? Did HCWHelper.exe chrashes at your side, too (with latest drivers)?

mp-user

mp-user

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2008

Just wanted to let you know the tested versions of Hauppauge parts, where the error occurs:
    - Driver Version 2.126.28225 (88x_2_126_28225_WHQL.zip, included in CD versions 2.3b-2.3f) --> don't know yet if this has anything to do with the error
    - CD versions 2.3b-2.3f (Ir.exe [in all these versions from 11/01/13 (binary identical)] and irremote.DLL [in all these versions from 10/12/22 (binary identical)])

mp-user

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi everyone

My apologies for not replying earlier! :sorry:
    It has taken me awhile to get my head around how the Hauppauge software works, and I'm still having trouble with DiSEqC on my Nova S Plus (I'm in contact with Hauppauge support). Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know that I think this issue is actually a configuration problem. I *was* getting the crashes. When opening up MP configuration and navigating to Remote -> Hauppauge (tab) I would see some kind of problem listed in the "status" section. I uninstalled IR, removing all relevant registry entries, folders, shortcuts etc. and then reinstalled it. All the crashes have gone, as has the error/warning in the status box. It has taken me a while to figure out what happened and why the crashing has stopped, but I think the gist of it is this:

- MP needs to take control of the remote when either MP or MP configuration start
    - only one application can control the remote at a time
    - if MP wants control of the remote then it needs to gracefully close the Hauppauge remote monitor (IR32) and start HcwHelper (the MP equivalent of IR)
    - if MP can't figure out where IR is installed to (which it does by looking up the installation location in the registry) then it can't gracefully close IR
    - if MP can't close IR then it starts HcwHelper anyway and attempts to forcefully take control of the remote ==> HcwHelper crash if IR is still running
    - if IR is installed/upgraded automatically with WinTV then the registry entries created by the installer may not reference the correct IR installation location, which is probably why we all saw these crashes
    - uninstalling and reinstalling IR seemed to fix the registry entries, which in turn allowed MP to locate the IR installation, which in turn gets rid of the crashing problem

I'm now happily using the latest version of IR (2.66.28272) and MP 1.2.0b here. No crashes. :D

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom