HD DVD with XBox Drive and Media Portal? (1 Viewer)

zombiepig

Portal Pro
March 21, 2005
Melb, Aus
Home Country
i still don't think it'll work with mp just yet - as far as i know there's no hd dvd directshow filters. so while powerdvd can play them, no 3rd party programs can. you'd need to launch powerdvd as an external program...

NEI

Portal Member
April 25, 2006
Question:
I had my hands on VC-1 demo material but cannot play it reliable in PowerDVD with my CPU (AMD 3500+) Does someone know the minimum AMD-CPU that plays VC-1 without stuttering? Is a X2 4200+ sufficent? Or what opteron would work? My problem is, that i have a two year old htpc with Socket939, so the choice with CPUs is restricted... :-(

arfster

Portal Member
January 2, 2007
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
Any X2 will do, VC1 isn't that demanding. You just need dual cores and you've easily got enough CPU power.

Beware that h264 discs need a fair bit more power, roughly the equivalent of a bottom end Core2Duo. You should be OK with a x2 4200+ though, just.

NEI

Portal Member
April 25, 2006
thanks! for h.264 the funny thing is that i can decode 1080p with the aid of my gf7600. but somehow hardware acceleration for VC-1 will only work if you have hdmi. At least that's what i have read somewhere. Stupid industry. If every newer CPU is capable of decoding it! :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom