HD lags - which component should I replace? (1 Viewer)

CGT

Portal Pro
January 8, 2012
Hi,

After experiencing lags with HD television I tested this video today and found that it lags too in Full HD. I know that my screen is not capable with FullHD but I still want to record in this resolution.

Which of my hardware components (see specs) is most likely to be responsible for the lags? Or is it a problem with the insufficient screen resolution?

Thank you!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Your graphics card is the weak point here, it will not play 1080i\p, neither will my daughters 7600gt :)

Any gt220 upwards will, but a 430 is preferable, ATI 5450 again will play, but a 5670 has all the video enhancements.

CGT

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2012
    Thank you! Would it work to record without watching with the 6600GT?

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    GFX Card as mentioned is a weak point for sure. But 2 GB RAM on Win7 x64 is also not too good. And a Pentium D is low end for MP also... I own a way stronger Core2Duo but this is also not much for MP... But I have 6GB Ram and a GT430, so normally HD Playback is no problem at all..

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you! Would it work to record without watching with the 6600GT?
    Yes, as for recording only no graphic card is needed. "Recording" is mainly a copy process from DVB to HDD. This only need enough HDD space and speed...

CGT

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2012
    Thank you!
    This only need enough HDD space and speed...
    But the HDD is quite old too :LOL:

The point is, that I got this PC for free and I originally just wanted to test MediaPortal's usability with it. E.g. with my family who is not into computers. Afterwards I wanted to buy a better PC.

But since this PC is better than originally expected for testing purposes I think I will only record HD (and not watch) and stick with it.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    With a bigger HDD and more RAM you can use this PC as stand- alone TV Server in a multseat environment.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    As soon as you "watch" something the GFX card has to do the work. As SDTV normally is also interlaced the card needs to do proper deinterlacing as your CPU is too weak to take this over. And I'm not sure the GT 6600 can handle this... A GT 8600 (this one I have in another client) is able to deinterlace SD TV in a good manner and this is able to playback 1080P as well... But the 6600 is way behind the 8600, so I'm not sure in your case.

CGT

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2012
    So far I only had some lags after switching to a new channel but then it went fine. I will test it some furtcher but I think I can live with it if it stays like this! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom