HD lags - which component should I replace? (1 Viewer)

allanp81

Portal Pro
October 24, 2006
Well I've learnt some things via this thread as well, for some reason I always thought that 1080i wasn't supported via dxva.

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    If keeping most of your present set up is a must then your only real option is an XFX ATI HD 4650 1GB AGP card with CAT 12.3 Legacy drivers as a minimum.

This will have No roblems with hardware decoding of HD up to 1080i and 1080p25 and have the power to output to a 1080 monitor/tv (most people overlook this important point) without dropping frames with full range of video deinterlacing options available from ATI drivers.

You will need to check the mb manual if the use of the AGP slot dissables the pci-e slot though ?

Otherwise a new pc is the option.

CGT

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2012
    Thank you guys for all this amazing input!!!

I have made up my mind and I think it's really "all or nothing" regarding the 'working' hardware.

As I said, so far I can live with my current setup EXCEPT for the horrible noise and the huge and ugly case. So I will definitely need a new case and a new cooling concept. Can you recommend a case which would fit my current setup but would still be prepared for future motherboard upgrades? I have the impression that most HTPC cases are µATX but my board is ATX.

My favorite so far was this but the reviews indicate that it has a very bad heat circulation.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I'm using since ages a Silverstone LaScala LC03 Full ATX case:
    17_m.jpg

This one looks like a High-End (HiFi) Power Amplifier, is able to carry most kinds of Mainboards (ATX, µATX, Mini-ITX) and I can use full height addon cards and regular ATX Power Supplies as well...
    This case isn't available any more but Silverstone has various cases of this kind to offer...

But if you really want a "zero noise" solution you shouldn't upgrade your case before you change mainboard and CPU as well. Today you can build systems without any fan and for this without any noise at all. But those cases are mostly for µATX/Mini-ITX Boards...

CGT

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2012
    Stupid question: Do these cases come with fans and power supply?

But if you really want a "zero noise" solution you shouldn't upgrade your case before you change mainboard and CPU as well. Today you can build systems without any fan and for this without any noise at all. But those cases are mostly for µATX/Mini-ITX Boards...

Could you give me an example, please? If possible not the high end solution but something at reasonable cost.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Do these cases come with fans and power supply?
    All "better" cases are without Power Supply. So, no there is no Power supply shipped with... Fans are most often been included but I recommend to try it first without them. Those fans are normally not that silent so if you really need them I would recommend to replace them by some with less noise...

Could you give me an example, please? If possible not the high end solution but something at reasonable cost.
    Those cases are expensive most of the time, mainly due to high end materials and the CPU cooling system bundled with. One of the cheaper ones is the Streacom FC8-EVO:
    http://www.streacom.com/products/fc8-evo-fanless-chassis/

CGT

Portal Pro
    January 8, 2012
    Thank you!

I think "zero noise" will be out of budget for my first HTPC then since it would probably also include upgrading the other components too ;)

Does anyone have recommendations for some more ATX cases? I really like the look of the above ones but they are the same category as the zero noise one it seems to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom