HDHomeRun AVC Channel (1 Viewer)

bsperduto

June 23, 2017
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi,

I've searched around quite a bit but I can't seem to find any answers to this issue. Some of my channels are now being broadcast as AVC channels but my TV Server isn't able to record the stream. I am able to view the channel using Windows Media Player thru the HDHomeRun interface. Log files are attached, the error being generated is a PMT Not Found error. Apologies if AVC channels are not supported, I couldn't find anything one way or another if they're supported.

Thanks!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

If the change to AVC is recent I'd suggest you rescan the channels.

MP is capable of receiving AVC channels - no trouble there. However, if your cable provider changed channel details as part of the changeover to AVC, TV Server wouldn't be able to stream the channels properly until after a rescan.

bsperduto

June 23, 2017
    Home Country
    I went ahead and deleted and ran a full rescan. For whatever reason it doesn't recreate the channel, it treats it as if it doesn't exist. Looking at the log file it appears to still detect the channel. I also tested with another AVC channel which also generates the same NoPMTFound error. I've attached the log files generated from this test, is there anything special which needs to be installed for this to work correctly?

Thanks

Attachments

• TVService.zip
      303.2 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

I went ahead and deleted and ran a full rescan. For whatever reason it doesn't recreate the channel, it treats it as if it doesn't exist.
    Yes - so I see.

The reason the channel wasn't recreated is that it wasn't found.

The logs tell me that although the scan completed successfully, the scan process didn't receive all the expected channel information. That may be the reason that the channel wasn't found. In other words, the channel's information may have been amongst the information that the scan process didn't receive.

There's another possibility too...
    Are you sure the change was that these channels switched to AVC (ie. h.264/AVC video encoding instead of MPEG 2 video encoding)?
    I wonder if you might be confusing AVC with SDV (switched digital video)?

Who is your cable provider?
    Do you have a tuning adapter/resolver (TA / TR) connected to your HDHR PRIME?

Looking at the log file it appears to still detect the channel.
    The scan found the name in the network text table:
    [2017-06-26 19:46:04,437] [Log ] [61 ] [DEBUG] - NTT: source name, source ID = 0x48e6, name = IDHD, application type = False

...but not the critical virtual channel information ("S-VCT: virtual channel number..."). Without the virtual channel information, TV Server can't create a tunable channel.

Exact same thing applies for the other channel you tested ("VICEH").

is there anything special which needs to be installed for this to work correctly?
    No.

bsperduto

June 23, 2017
    Home Country
    Yes I am certain its AVC, to validate I opened the channel using VLC connecting directly to the HDHomeRun Prime and checked the codecs reported. Cable provider is Comcast (US), no tuning adapter needed for them.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay.

I suggest to try scanning again.
    This time set the TV Server log level to info before starting the scan. I ask you to do this because I have a suspicion that the verbose debug logging may be a contributing factor to the scan process missing out on channel info. Too much logging; not enough listening for channel info.
    Also consider increasing the SDT/VCT timeout.
    Both settings can be found in TV Server Configuration -> general section.

bsperduto

June 23, 2017
    Home Country
    That was the fix, once that change was made it found all the channels and made the updates. Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom