HDHomerun Prime Tuner (cablecard) support (?) (1 Viewer)

Antonio Carballo

August 19, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm now setting up the channels by scanning the tuner. Somehow I get no channels. I read on a thread that I have to run Native TV 3.0 or MPExtended option in order to get MP2 to work with tuners that use a cable card. In the thread the discussion circles around how to get such a plugin but the author does not respond to the how. Below is the thread:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mp2-hd-homerun.126688/#post-1089735

I configured the MP2 to scan it as a "digital cable" but I get the following after scanning:

out-of-band service information.....signal locked....no channels found.

I understand that "digital cable" is the only option for tuners that use a cable card. My other product is able to get the channels from the HDHomerun Primer tuner. So, it has to be something to do with MP2. The firewall is turned off in Windows 7. So, I don't think that it has anything to do with not being able to access the tuners via the network. Thanks.

/AC

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Antonio

I'm now setting up the channels by scanning the tuner. Somehow I get no channels.
    Okay.

I read on a thread that I have to run Native TV 3.0 or MPExtended option in order to get MP2 to work with tuners that use a cable card.
    That's true... though in general, I would have recommended MP1 over MP2 if you're wanting TV support with a CableCARD tuner. MP1 is our mature release; MP2 is a work in progress. Most people are using MP1. So, can I ask: did you choose MP2 over MP1 for a specific reason?

In the thread the discussion circles around how to get such a plugin but the author does not respond to the how.
    Do you have a question in relation to this?

I configured the MP2 to scan it as a "digital cable"...
    Good, that's correct. :)

...but I get the following after scanning:

out-of-band service information.....signal locked....no channels found.
    Okay.

I understand that "digital cable" is the only option for tuners that use a cable card.
    Yes, that's correct.

My other product is able to get the channels from the HDHomerun Primer tuner. So, it has to be something to do with MP2. The firewall is turned off in Windows 7. So, I don't think that it has anything to do with not being able to access the tuners via the network.
    In general a tuner can only be controlled by one program at a time, so your other product may be preventing MediaPortal from using your tuner.
    Having said that, I'm speculating. Please post log files so we can see what's really going on and direct you to a resolution.

Regards,
    mm

Antonio Carballo

August 19, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    • I shut down the other product's VM (Linux-based product) prior to scanning. So, technically the other product was not running at all. Same result: no channels.
    • I chose MP2 since it was the latest release but I was not aware that it was still not quite ready for prime time...
    • If you feel that MP1 will work w/o much hassles with the HDHR tuner, then I will switch to that for now. I was only using MP2 to avoid the headaches of upgrading a year from now to MP2. I'm a software developer and I know the hurdles of going from one major release to another one.
    • The thread was brought up because the author states that the plugin v3.0 is what's needed in order for MP2 to get the channels from tuners using a cable card. Several participants asked him HOW-TO add the plugin but no answer came.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay to (1) and (2).
    For (3): yes I think MP1 is a safer choice for now.
    For (4): the latest MP2 "summer" release should come with the NativeTV 3.0 TV engine as default. I assume that's what you've been attempting to use. However, there are known issues with the current release which means it won't always work as it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom