Help fix my problems before I abandon MediaPortal! (1 Viewer)

Twissle

August 10, 2010
Chorley
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 Final
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows 7 64-bit
CPU Type: i3-350
Memory: 2 Gb DDR3
Motherboard: H55 Chipset
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova TD 500
MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD10 / ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC
Satelite/CableTV Provider: UK Freeview DVB-T

Firstly, this is not a complaint about MediaPortal. I very much want this to be the front end to my HTPC as I like a great many things about it. Its flexibility with regards to codecs, wonderful plug-ins such as Moving Pictures and TV Series, and the fact it looks great with the StreamedMP skins and fan art. However, I am experiencing a number of issues that are making it difficult to live with, using it on our family TV that hopefully some of you can help me with:

1. The UI seems very slow to respond considering my hardware, and I have experienced a number (although infrequent) of freezes and lengthy pauses that detract from the viewing experience. Changing TV channel for instance is quite slow (I have set zap delay to 1 second, though this is still too slow).

2. Browsing to a channel that is not broadcasting at the time, such as CBeebies after 7pm, causes a VERY long freeze (surely this is not normal and is a total deal breaker for me)

3. DVDs play fine on AutoPlay, but if I choose the Play DVD option (that I have pinned on my BasicHome menu), it says “Please Insert Disc”. I originally thought this was due to also having a virtual drive, and MePo looking at the wrong one, but this is not the case.

4. A very small number of my MKV files will not play in MediaPortal, although they will play fine in other software.

5. Intermittently, my volume control will stop working. The OSD still shows the bar going up and down, and will show the mute graphic, but the volume does not change.

6. Intermittently, while watching TV, MediaPortal will stop responding to any commands. Starting task manager shows that it has stopped responding, although TV continues to play (though I cannot then change channel or do anything).

If anyone can help resolve any of these issues I would be very appreciative. Like I said, I very much want to use this software but am struggling to live with it at the moment. Thanks in advance for any replies.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Twissle,

I, too, had some poor performance issues with MP - however, I kept at it and now have a great, fast and slick setup, thanks to installing MP 1.1.0 Final

Unfortunately, I am not experienced enough with MP to solve your individual issues, and all I can say is just persevere until some more knowledgeable people come along and answer your questions. They will do and have politely answered some real dumb questions from me :oops: it just takes a bit of time.

I even have the GF using it now, so that is a real bonus!

As Chemelli asks (above) attach your bug reports to your post as it will allow people to see what is happening with your setup and to suggest solutions.

Good luck!

M.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ok firstly....dont use onboard graphics!

Get a 256MB (at least) or 512MB +(recommended) graphics card...it will improve your slow menu screens and deliver you a much better viewing experience for watching video

The newest, cheapest card around at the moment is the Nvidia 220gt will suffice and very minimal cost..and give hardware acceleration for mpg2/h264/x264/xvid!

As for setup: Audio codecs..go with MPC - MPA audio codec for video and my tv - its free and inbuilt into MP! (set it up in the config as u wish to use it)

For video codecs use the inbuilt Win 7 codec ( MS DTV video decoder ) for mpeg2 and get CoreAVC 2.0 for h264/2x64 (u will need matroskasplitter - easily googleable [ha i invented a word!])

This will give hardware accelleration and no stutters..but u need a GRAPHICS CARD...not onboard...onboard is just plain silly!!!!

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    5. Intermittently, my volume control will stop working. The OSD still shows the bar going up and down, and will show the mute graphic, but the volume does not change.

On this one - I wonder if you are using an SPDIF output to an AV receiver for audio? I came across this the other day, when one channel is broadcasting with Dolby Digital Audio (while the others are all showing as PCM Audio) - when this happens, my AV receiver takes over, and the volume is no longer managed by Windows, but by the AV Receiver itself. This is normal behaviour for how I had it set-up, and is something to do with SPDIF Pass-Through settings. Someone else might be able to elaborate on this, but could this be the issue?

Regarding the onboard video - I am using the Intel graphics output, from a G35 chipset - it's terrible! I can only use the drivers from 2008, as the latest ones just don't play nicely. I would tend to agree - offload the video processing onto an external card if you can, although as far as I know, most of the GPU cards that have HDMI output, do not manage audio, so you would need to output audio separately.

Hope that helps - stick with it if you can, it's quite rewarding in the end :)

Shangostar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Somerset
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ok firstly....dont use onboard graphics!

I use onboard graphics with no problems what so ever.

2. Browsing to a channel that is not broadcasting at the time, such as CBeebies after 7pm, causes a VERY long freeze (surely this is not normal and is a total deal breaker for me)

Try running the TVServer config and going down to the timeshifting tab, then lowering the 'wait for timeshifting file' number of seconds.

MKV's not playing is most likely a codec issue.

I'd recommend uninstalling all codecs, filters and splitters and installing SAF V5, its a filter pack designed specifically for Mediaportal use.

Take a look HERE

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom