Help needed with DVB subtitles (1 Viewer)

Hojou

Portal Pro
January 10, 2007
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Let me start by saying thanks for all the work you guys put into this. I moved from Windows MCE and i'm NOT looking back ;)

About subtitles - i've been reading up on it here in the forums and after reading your last new post i'm still not totally sure how much is supported. I'm interrested in viewing subtitles on the DVB-T signal here in Denmark and thus have been reading up on how it works and what the different standarts are.

My big question is now - how much is supported? I understand that there are four methods of streaming subtitles in DVB-T signals.

1) embedding in videostream - no support needed there ;)
2) through teletext
3) seperate stream as bitmap
4) seperate stream? as character code

Does anyone know how many of the 3 last methods are supported by
1) MP 0.2.2.0
2) TV Server

And if some are left out - any support planned for future releases? I'm having problem displaying subtitles on some DVB-T channels in MP 0.2.2.0 but it might just be the tv provider messing it up :p

Checksum

Portal Member
April 16, 2006
Taasinge, Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi
Currently only teletext subtitles are supported.
DR1 and DR2 supports teletext and DVB subtitles. However teletext support is only temporary and will be stopped some time in the future.
TV2 only supports DVB subtitles.

TV Server supports DVB subtitles but the client application does not, yet.
If subtitle development advances as planned DVB subtitles will be supported in client version 0.3.

At the moment i have found 2 HTPC applications supporting DVB subtitles which is:
Cyberlink Powercinema 5(imo the best)
DVBViewer

None of the above are freeware. :-(

Hojou

Portal Pro
January 10, 2007
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Thanks for the reply :) I do have a license for Cyberlink Powercinema 5 as that was the software already installed on my "media center pc" i bought last summer in ALDI supermarked. I don't like powercinema though...

Subtitles is a big issue for me (and my wife) - so much that we probably will be switcing to the server/client as soon as it's implemented even though we currently use MP 0.2.2.0 for stability issues...

Hojou

Portal Pro
January 10, 2007
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Right... :oops:

It does display subtitles though - both DR1 and TV2 - perhaps it's power cinema 4 then :)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi
    However teletext support is only temporary and will be stopped some time in the future.

Actually i have a not so secret plan to add DVB teletext subtitle support to the filter tourettes made, but getting image based DVB subtitles working is the priority right now. Only when that is done and working well will i start looking into teletext subs.

Teletext subtitles are still in widespread in DVB-C and DVB-S broadcasts, i suppose mostly because there are so many receivers out there that only supports that type of subs, and people would be pissed if their subtitles suddenly disappeared :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Subtitle timing seems to give me still a big headache/earache... so if someone can help I'm more than willing to get some advice :)

I think I have spent enough time on that subject already so I'll start to wait that the sollution pops from somewhere else.

elacris

Portal Member
    October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If I can help in any way, I am willing to use some of my time on it.
    I have been a C++ developer for 15 year, but I have little experience with DirectShow.

I have used the last 5 days reading up on DirectShow (and DX in generel), and I am able to get my little sample app to play a *.TS file (Flaaten.TS from an earlier post) - without subtitles though.

I am unable to get the same graph as you descripe in http://day2.no-ip.org/pictures/graph.png? The MPEG-2 Demultiplexer only gives 2 output pins (Audio and Video). So I am stille missing something basic :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom