Help needed with DVB subtitles (1 Viewer)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    How can i check if i the channels have the correct form of DVB subtitles?

I have captured streams for the following channels which appear without subs in MP and which have subtitles in MyTheatre.

Animal Planet &National Geographic
    TCM
    C More HD (MPEG-2 HighDef)

Im not sure what either of these were showing during the captures(the capture program doesnt give any info and i cant figure out how to play programs from the transport stream).

I have attached a screenshot for each of these TS captures loaded in TSReader, so you can tell me if any of them are useful to you before i waste time uploading :)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Done uploading, the file is named denmark-TDC-DVBC-610Mhz-transponder.ts.

I take it that this means that TCM,NatGeo and Animal Planet wont benefit from the DVB subtitle filter?

How many ways are there of transmitting subtitles for DVB TV? My understanding right now is:
    1. Direct in image
    2. DVB Bitmap
    3. DVB 'code based'
    4. Teletext

Do i read the TSreader info correctly in that the remaining channels use Teletext based subtitles? Does that mean that these subtitles are readable from the standard teletex viewer in MP?

Is it correct that your filter will support just 2 for now?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Unfortunately I was not able to get the denmark-TDC-DVBC-610Mhz-transponder.ts file to play in the VLC. I also tried to extract only the HD2 channel with TSReader, but that didn't help.

Curretnly the filter will support only #2 DVB bitmap.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I also tried to extract only the HD2 channel with TSReader, but that didn't help.

Maybe the Twinhan capture program does something strange? I must admit i never managed to play a recorded .ts file in VLC either, but i havent got any problems with MP. Maybe its because the transport stream is captured with encrypted packets intact, so that you would actually need a CAM to play it?

Are there any other programs that i could use for the capture?

Curretnly the filter will support only #2 DVB bitmap.

Im just trying to understand how widespread each subtitle technique is. Judging from the transport streams i for the other channels it looks like they use teletext subtitles, that is not any type of DVB subtitle at all.

Do you happen to know if teletext subtitles will work with MediaPortals teletext implementation, and how to identify the correct page?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Maybe the Twinhan capture program does something strange? I must admit i never managed to play a recorded .ts file in VLC either, but i havent got any problems with MP. Maybe its because the transport stream is captured with encrypted packets intact, so that you would actually need a CAM to play it?

Are there any other programs that i could use for the capture?

I don't personaly know any other programs than TSReader. At some point it will be possible to use the new tv engine to record .ts files. Those would be ok also.

If those channels are encrypted that would explain why that didn't work here.

Im just trying to understand how widespread each subtitle technique is. Judging from the transport streams i for the other channels it looks like they use teletext subtitles, that is not any type of DVB subtitle at all.

Do you happen to know if teletext subtitles will work with MediaPortals teletext implementation, and how to identify the correct page?

I have to say that I haven't looked at the teletext part in MP.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I would really like to help, but i dont really see how.. I wouldnt mind getting a version of TSReader to play with, but 99$ is too much, they should really have a student discount or something ;) The TV server cant do TS yet, right?

Im thinking about taking a look at the Teletext subtitles(since they seems to be used alot on my DVB-C channels), after all there is already a complete teletext grabber in MP, so it should be possible to do something without too much work.

Unfortunately the teletext code in MP seems to suffer from a pronounced lack of comments. Do you know who wrote that code by any chance?

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    My parents HTPC is equipped with a DVB-T card, and most of the danish DVB-T channels use DVB subtitles, i will try these programs for capturing some transport streams. I might even be able to do it later today, since i have installed a VNC server on their HTPC, which i can access from my home :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom