Help selecting hybrid TV card (1 Viewer)

Lily

Portal Member
November 29, 2005
Could anyone help me to select the right Hybrid TV card? I tried couple brand LifeView DVB-T Anagloue/Digital PCI & Compro DVB-T300 card, but the LifeView couldn't get it working natively and the Compro only work for digital not analgoue. I need some suggestion on what card will it work natively for BOTH anglogue & digital. I search this newsgroup but can't seem to find any topic which both digital/anagloue card working fully.

Thanks,
Lily

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi Lily,

In general, make sure the digital part has BDA drivers and the analog part has hardware MPEG2 encoding. Recently the Hauppauge HVR-1300 has been added to the supported card list. It seems this is the best choice if you want a hybrid card. See this link for details.

Not sure if it matters, but be aware that this card only supports viewing FTA (i.e. freeview) channels.

BTW I don't own such a card myself, so I don't have any experience with it.

Kind regards,
    Michel

urev

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 7, 2005
    Germany
    Hi!
    It would be interesting, if you can watch or record both analogue and digital at the same time? Otherwise two seperate cards would make more sense.
    bye, urev

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I don't think any hybrid cards have a built in hardware MPeg encoder. They are all software based.

I have two Compro t-300s and they work great for DTV and I have been using them for Analog in the past wih no issues. The analog part wasn't supported in the official release of .1.3 You'll need to copy the capturecarddefs.xlm file from a recent cvs to enable analog support.

With any hybrid card you cannot watch/record DTV and analog at the same time though.

scoop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2004
    Hi,
    Marcusb said:
    I don't think any hybrid cards have a built in hardware MPeg encoder. They are all software based.
    The Hauppauge HVR-1300 has. See the specs on Hauppauge's website.
    Not sure if it supports analog/DVB viewing/recording at the same time though.

Kind regards,
    Michel

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Not sure if it supports analog/DVB viewing/recording at the same time though.

It doesnt no. Only exception is FM Radio/DVB-T at same time. It only has one video decoder so it cant do both analogue tv and dvb-t tv at the same time.

Lily

Portal Member
    November 29, 2005
    Not simutanously

Hi everyone,

I don't need to watch both digital and anagloue at the same time, just because I can only get digital signal in near future, so I want to have the option first.

So, is it true that if is anagloue card it must be hardware mpeg in order to work with MP ?

As everyone say, which I haven't seen one myself, most hybrid card don't really have hardware mpeg?

And Marcusb, you said you got the Compro T300 work for analogue, where do I get the capturecarddefs.xlm again and do I have to use release 1.3 not the latest 2.0 beta? Sorry, I'm only newbie here, where do I place capturecarddefs.xlm file to once I have it?

Thanks,
    Lily

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    So, is it true that if is anagloue card it must be hardware mpeg in order to work with MP ?

The current stable 0130 will work with software cards, as will 0200RC1 but when 0200RC2 and official 0200 comes out they wont. If your going to buy a card, spend a little extra and get a hardware card (where applicable) because no development is going into software cards anymore and they arent supported in future releases.

I don't need to watch both digital and anagloue at the same time, just because I can only get digital signal in near future, so I want to have the option first.
    As everyone say, which I haven't seen one myself, most hybrid card don't really have hardware mpeg?

The Hauppauge HVR-1300 would be ideal for you then. Also get FM radio which is handy.

And Marcusb, you said you got the Compro T300 work for analogue, where do I get the capturecarddefs.xlm again and do I have to use release 1.3 not the latest 2.0 beta? Sorry, I'm only newbie here, where do I place capturecarddefs.xlm file to once I have it?

In the MP root directory eg. C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal

Lily

Portal Member
    November 29, 2005
    HVR-1300

Will the HVR-1300 work with the new release 0200RC2 or still developing?

This HVR-1300 is an OEM version, doesn't seem to come with any remote right? And do you know whether it will come with any third party software to watch or record tv?

Is this card fully support all the tv feature in MP such as record & pause live tv possibly?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Will the HVR-1300 work with the new release 0200RC2 or still developing?

Yes. You could probably get it working in 0130 with the capturecarddefinitions.xml file from a cvs release if you want to.

This HVR-1300 is an OEM version, doesn't seem to come with any remote right? And do you know whether it will come with any third party software to watch or record tv?

Normally no remote, no. Usually OEM all you get is the card and a 2-3page instruction manual and possible some drivers. The hauppauge site you can get newer drivers and third party software if you please (its crap anyway so I wouldnt bother).

Is this card fully support all the tv feature in MP such as record & pause live tv possibly?

Yes, both analogue and digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom