Help setting up HVR-1955 remote & blaster on MP (2 Viewers)

TLD

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Rainy Washington
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I just updated my system spec's here.

I have the HVR-1955 which comes with a R6 remote and blaster. MP doesn't see it and in the MP configuration it is apparent that MP hasen't had the option for Hauppauge remotes sense Windows XP SP2 as it states as much.

I installed Hauppauge WinTV 8.5 to be sure the remote and blaster actually worked and it does.

So sense the old way doesn't work could someone please help me set this up.
I just did a fresh install hoping MP would see receiver and use HID but no luck.
The ir receiver is showing up in Windows device manager.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

...and in the MP configuration it is apparent that MP hasen't had the option for Hauppauge remotes sense Windows XP SP2 as it states as much.
    MP Config does mention XP, but that reference should be ignored. People have had various Hauppauge remotes working with XP, Vista, 7, 8 and presumably W10 as well.

could someone please help me set this up
    To start with you need to provide some information:
    1. Do you intend to use the blaster, or only the receiver/remote?
    2. Please supply the remote control's model number.
    3. Please supply a picture of the remote.
    4. Please supply MediaPortal log files as follows:
      1. Close MP.
      2. Open MP Configuration.
      3. In the "general" section set "log verbosity" to "debug".
      4. In the "remotes and input devices" section:
        1. "HID" tab: ensure "enable HID" is unticked.
        2. "media" tab: ensure "use media keys" is unticked.
        3. "Hauppauge" tab:
          1. Ensure "use Hauppauge remote" is ticked.
          2. Tick "extended logging".
      5. Click OK to close and save.
      6. Ensure any programs and/or background processes that might attempt to use the remote are fully closed.
      7. Open MP.
      8. Hold the remote fairly close to the receiver, pointed at the appropriate place, then press each of the buttons on the remote twice.
      9. Close MP.
      10. Open the Watchdog tool.
      11. Select option 3 "export...".
      12. Provide the resulting zip file.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    Hi MM thanks for the help.
    The blaster is the main reason i want to get this running, i have a mouse with 11 programmable buttons that runs everything in MP good enough for me but as it is now i need to remember to change the channel on the STB when doing a recording or i record the wrong thing.

Here is a link to the remote with a picture: https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Remote-Control-WinTV-A415-HPG/dp/B000X9HWB8

It will be tomorrow before i can get the log files, i have been trying to get this going sense yesterday and i am suffering with lack of sleep. Can't see strait. lol

EDIT: Forgot to mention i have 2 STBs 1 for each USB card only the HVR-1955 has a remote and blaster.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The blaster is the main reason i want to get this running...
    Okay, in that case don't bother with the log files. Don't bother because blasters must be configured with and controlled by TV Server. MP's Hauppauge remote control support is irrelevant for your purposes. In fact, make sure you disable MP's Hauppauge remote control support (ie. in MP Config -> remotes and input devices section -> Hauppauge tab -> untick "use Hauppauge remote").

Forgot to mention i have 2 STBs 1 for each USB card only the HVR-1955 has a remote and blaster.
    Okay.

The first thing I need to say about your current setup is that you're only going to be able to control one STB. In case you weren't aware, the reasons for this are three-fold:
    1. As far as I'm aware a single HVR-1955 has the capacity to connect and control one single-port blaster. That's only enough to control a single STB. In general controlling two STBs would require a minimum of either two single-port blasters or one dual port blaster.
    2. Hauppauge's blaster driver is only able to control the blaster(s) on one Hauppauge product unit. Your one unit is going to be your HVR-1955. Adding a second HVR-1955 would not enable control of two STBs. The blaster driver would only be able to control the blaster on one of the two HVR-1955s.
    3. As far as I'm aware there is only one way that TV Server is able to control the blaster on a Hauppauge product, and that is via the built-in ServerBlaster plugin. That ServerBlaster plugin has been designed to be able to control only one Hauppauge blaster due to point #2.

The second thing I need to say about your current setup relates to point #3 above. The ServerBlaster plugin has some design limitations that you need to be aware of:
    1. Its Hauppauge blaster support doesn't allow for blasting to STBs that are connected via coax/RF. Therefore the STB that you want to control must be connected via other means such as composite/RCA (yellow, red and white "banana" plugs) or s-video.
    2. It blasts on selection of any non-coax/RF analog channel. In other words, you may have a problem if you intend to connect the second STB to your HVR-955Q via composite or s-video. Connecting the second STB via coax/RF would be fine... but it will introduce other complications, such as requiring separate channels for each tuner.
    All this is to say that if you want (a) to control both STBs or (b) control only a single STB but have access [without control] to the "current channel" from the second STB via the HVR-955Q, you're likely to run into problems and I would advise to consider adjusting either your setup or your expectations.

In other words, I'm fairly confident that we could get your HVR-1955 controlling one STB to your satisfaction. It may take a bit of time, but all things being equal that should be doable if you're willing to work it through. I'm much less confident (in fact I strongly doubt) that we could get the second STB and/or HVR-955Q working in the same setup.

Is all of the above clear?
    Do you still want to proceed?
    If yes, do you want to proceed with your current setup, or make some adjustments to enable you to control/use both tuners and/or both STBs?

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    I was wanting to get the HVR-1955 to control the STB connected to it and leave the HVR-955Q just tuned to the fake channel i made and change the channel manually with the STB connected to it, then i could map all scanned channels to the HVR-1955 for recording. I have to create all the channels and map them to the TV card i want to record that channel with in TV server to make the MP EPG work anyway.

If yes, do you want to proceed with your current setup, or make some adjustments to enable you to control/use both tuners and/or both STBs?

Yes i want to get a blaster working, and i am willing to make adjustments as needed but i really would like to use the TV cards i have.
    I have a Harmony 650 programmable remote too if that would help, is it possible to get a ir receiver/blaster that will run both STBs, i am willing to buy what it takes to get this working i just don't know enough about this stuff to know what to buy that will work.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I was wanting to get the HVR-1955 to control the STB connected to it and leave the HVR-955Q just tuned to the fake channel i made and change the channel manually with the STB connected to it
    Okay.
    As per my previous reply, I can help you to get this setup working if (and only if):
    1. The HVR-1955 is connected to STB #1 via composite/RCA or s-video, AND...
    2. The HVR-955Q is connected to STB #2 via coax/RF.

then i could map all scanned channels to the HVR-1955 for recording.
    Scanned channels? :confused:
    If you're connecting an STB then you won't be able to scan to pick up the STB's channel lineup. You'd have to either create the channels manually or find some kind of shortcut for that process. For example, the SchedulesDirect plugin can create channels for a given channel lineup as well as supply EPG data.

I have to create all the channels and map them to the TV card i want to record that channel with in TV server to make the MP EPG work anyway.
    Yes, you do have to do that.

Yes i want to get a blaster working, and i am willing to make adjustments as needed but i really would like to use the TV cards i have.
    Okay. As I've previously said, you can use your current setup - both tuners and HVR-1955 blaster - to control one STB, with the two caveats that I listed at the start of this reply. I'm happy to help you do that.

I have a Harmony 650 programmable remote too if that would help
    The remote control you end up using is up to you. It makes no difference in the setup and configuration of an STB and blaster.

is it possible to get a ir receiver/blaster that will run both STBs
    Yes. If that's your end goal, we need to take that into consideration right from the start. It's very important because it requires you to buy a different blaster and have very different blaster configuration.

i am willing to buy what it takes to get this working i just don't know enough about this stuff to know what to buy that will work.
    If you want to control both STBs then I recommend to buy a USB-UIRT.

Please let me know your decision:
    1. Control one STB with your current setup, OR...
    2. Control both STBs after purchasing a USB-UIRT.
    This decision needs to be made right up front.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    Ok i'm looking at the USB-UIRT and i have a couple questions.

Does the USB-UIRT work in MP pretty much out of the box or is there other programs the need to be installed like IRSS or girder?

From the USB-UIRT web page it states "Two (2) built-in High-Power Emitters"
    Are these the Blasters?

From the USB-UIRT web page it states "34-40KHz Frequency Range, 56KHz IR Receiver Add-On Option*"
    Do i need the 56KHz option?

I will order one once i know the answers to these questions. It just sounds to good to be true.
    Thanks again

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Does the USB-UIRT work in MP pretty much out of the box or is there other programs the need to be installed like IRSS or girder?
    You can use it as a remote control receiver with MP pretty much straight out of the box. However, for your purposes (ie. use a a blaster and/or receiver), you're going to need to use it with IRSS and IRSS's TVE 3 Blaster plugin. IRSS + plugin is the only way to enable TV Server to control more than one STB.

From the USB-UIRT web page it states "Two (2) built-in High-Power Emitters"
    Are these the Blasters?
    Yes. "Emitter" and "blaster" are interchangeable terms.

From the USB-UIRT web page it states "34-40KHz Frequency Range, 56KHz IR Receiver Add-On Option*"
    Do i need the 56KHz option?
    I think that depends on the STBs you have. The 34 - 40 kHz range is very standard. I've been unable to find the technical specifications for Hauppauge blasters (possibly because they change depending on part availability or tuner), but I'd be very surprised if the Hauppauge blaster can do 56 kHz. Therefore, since you confirmed that the Hauppauge blaster can control your STBs, I wouldn't expect problems with the USB-UIRT. If it bothers you, you could try to contact Hauppauge to get specifications for their blaster... but frankly, "good luck with that". Aside from a MCE-compatible transceiver - which seem to be more expensive and harder to acquire these days - the USB-UIRT is your only option for controlling two STBs.

In short: when it comes to controlling two STBs it's USB-UIRT, MCE-compatible transceiver, or nothing. I'd sooner recommend the USB-UIRT.

It just sounds to good to be true.
    They're a very popular little product. :)

The one thing I would suggest to be cautious of and/or read up on is W10 compatibility.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    I'm glad you mentioned the windows 10 problems.
    Checked out google, looks like Windows 10 64bit has a real problem with USB-UIRT 64 bit driver not working from the latest posts i could find.
    Also apparently there so no longer support for this device according to the latest posts i could find, i tried to contact them at their website and the contact link doesn't work. I'm disappointed that it looks like the USB-UIRT idea isn't going to work.

I guess i will use the blaster i have unless you can think of another option, the STB the HVR 1955 is hooked up to has composite plugs on the back, i will see if i can get the composite connection working between them. Though the blaster was working with a coaxial cable in WinTV v8.5.

Should i disconnect the HVR-955Q for now till the blaster is working.

EDIT: The HVR-955Q can only be connected by coaxial cable.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Checked out google, looks like Windows 10 64bit has a real problem with USB-UIRT 64 bit driver not working from the latest posts i could find.
    My take is that the situation is not clear. Some people report problems; other people report no problems. The nature of forums is that they tend to be used as places to report problems and/or vent, so I'd expect to find far more reports of problems than of success.

tried to contact them at their website and the contact link doesn't work.
    The contact link is meant to open a new email to support@usbuirt.com. It will appear not to work if you don't have an email client on your system.

I'm disappointed that it looks like the USB-UIRT idea isn't going to work.
    I'm not convinced there's a problem... but ultimately the decision is yours.

I guess i will use the blaster i have unless you can think of another option
    I've already explained all the options:
    1. Current setup => control a single STB, and maybe receive the current channel from the second STB.
    2. USB-UIRT => control both STBs.
    3. MCE-compatible transceiver => control both STBs.
    Those are the choices.

Like I said previously, I'd like you to make the decision about whether you're going to use the Hauppauge blaster or not up front. That's to save time for both of us. The setup for a Hauppauge blaster is quite different - doesn't require IRSS etc.

I understand there's uncertainty with the USB-UIRT option, and I don't know anybody that likes uncertainty when making such decisions. However, I figure the worst that could happen with that you try it, run into problems, and return it for a refund. You may lose a little time but you'll certainly learn stuff through the process.

It's completely up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom