Help to narrow down S3 Resume bug (1 Viewer)

coopers

Portal Pro
November 8, 2005
Adelaide
Home Country
Hi Folks,

I have also been having this problem with MP 1.0.0, and aftere recently upgrading to 1.0.2, I still have the issue.

I do not have a solution, but I have symptoms to log with you:

- If you leave mediaportal idle, Powerscheduler (PS) will put the machine to sleep. Waking from this state never has a problem.
- If I manually put the machine to sleep, Waking from this state never has a problem.
- If PS wakes the machine up, then I think it fails to resume properly. PS wakes the machine up, and starts recording. Then the recording period finishes, and the machine is idle - it is stuck here and never goes back to sleep. If I turn on the monitor without touching anything, the screen is black. I can wiggle the mouse or hit a button, the black screen goes away and the machine then goes to sleep.

So there is something wrong with the PS wake-up-shut-down automatically here.

I am going to try the "restart MP on resume" and "S3 Hack" settings in the 1.0.2 config dialog over the next couple of days, and see what happens.

any advice appreciated!

thanks

thesystemera

Portal Pro
May 26, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
WOW no one has found a solution to this... Tell you guys some thing interesting.. I only get the black screen when I'm running through HDMI, when I'm running through VGA it is fine..

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Maybe little offtopic, but i had freezing after wake up too. After long tryes, checks and tests i found problem - my WinTV HVR-1300 was responsible for that - more info and fix in link

I found solution and created small MCE standy tools plugin - can fix possible problems with other hardware too.

So if you have WinTV HVR-1300, you possibly facing same issue...

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hoborg,

Are you really, REALLY sure that this is the problem? I would like to know because I had to stop using MP about 6 weeks ago. I have been having the "hang on resume" problem ever since I first installed MP, but we went away for a weekend and when I came back 3 recordings had been missed because my system had hung the first time is was supposed to wake up.

WAF reached zero!

My card is Hauppage - but a PVR4000 not the 1300 you have.

In desperation I decided to install Win7 and use MediaCenter. Since then not one single "hang on resume" and every recording is successful.

I still keep in touch with MP and would like to go back to MP - but until the "hang on resume" is absolutely and definitely fixed FOREVER, I can't.

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Hoborg,

Are you really, REALLY sure that this is the problem? I would like to know because I had to stop using MP about 6 weeks ago. I have been having the "hang on resume" problem ever since I first installed MP, but we went away for a weekend and when I came back 3 recordings had been missed because my system had hung the first time is was supposed to wake up.

WAF reached zero!

My card is Hauppage - but a PVR4000 not the 1300 you have.

In desperation I decided to install Win7 and use MediaCenter. Since then not one single "hang on resume" and every recording is successful.

I still keep in touch with MP and would like to go back to MP - but until the "hang on resume" is absolutely and definitely fixed FOREVER, I can't.

Well, you can check it easily. Just disable your tv card in HW manager, then repeatly go in to stand by and resume.
I am 100% sure 1300 causing it. After i apply "disable when going to stanby" i havent freeze sice them (cca 1/2 of year).

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks. I'll just have to work out a way, and a time, when I can check this out. Will be difficult since I installed Win7 so it might be a while before I can get back here.

thesystemera

Portal Pro
May 26, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Guys I think I've hit two birds with one stone... I have resolved the black screen and my card issues.

You see my "Nova T 500 HD" was not initializing every two out of three times when resuming from standby. And as we know the black screen of death (not blue) was coming up every 1 out of three times. Generally a sad panda :)

Well I wrote a vbs script that re-initializes my tvservice and irservice services and applications. But the secret is... To delay the tvservice application from booting straight away, I let every thing else load and then after a minute the script launches the tvservice. It seems that some tv cards do not like being initialized straight away. This seems to fix it, sure your with out TV for a few moments but hey it works!!!

Hope this is any help to any one.. Resume and standby scripts are below. Use MST or "Hibernate trigger" to launch script..

Attachments

• MCE_resume.rar
    30.6 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom