Help - "unable to play stream 3.0" (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there I am running the latest version of Mediaportal on two Windows 7 PCs (one as a stand alone and the other as a client).

The two are connected by a gigabit switch.

Things have been up and running for a while now for a while without any problem but I am now getting the message "unable to play stream ..." when I try and play anything on the client, though I can load up the EPG.

I did have this problem a while back whilst the client was connected via wireless (I had to change my router settings) but I cannot understand why this problem has come back when I am using Cat5e cabling.

I have had a look on this forum and there seem to be at least two potential solutions:

1. Turn off IPV6 on the client machine.
2. Go into the TV Server Configuration and change the streaming server IP address from Auto to an actual IP address.

I would be really grateful to know which of these methods I should use (or indeed both or even another solution).

Thanks very much.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    For live/recorded TV, check the firewall settings on the server carefully - some people have reported problems because MP and TV service don't have full access for TCP and UDP traffic through the firewall (i.e. occasionally the firewall rules don't seem to be setup correctly during MP installation/upgrade by the installer, but we don't know why)

Tony

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hello,

Thanks for that - I have a look at the Firewall (I am using the one built into Windows) but I am not really sure what to be looking at fix this problem. What options should I be looking at?

Incidentally, I tried the IPV6 disabling, I mentioned above - this worked for a bit but then suddenly made no difference (probably just a coincidence).

This is a major problem that has plagued me ever since I have started to use MP and it is getting a bit too much now. The only way to get live TV/recorded TV on clients is to restart the server each time, which is getting ridiculous.

Thanks v much.

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Help - "unable to play stream 3.0"

I had a similar problem. I solved it by adding all my machines in the host file on each machine. Maybe it'll help you too.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi,

I use Win7 and have two permanent clients running from a standalone system in the lounge, and a couple of laptops that get used now and again. I have never had this problem, but what I did do/always do when reinstalling is set up a specific IP address for the TV Server. Could it be that if it is on Auto, the IP address is always changing as the router assigns its own IP address and this then causes problems in that the clients are then unable to find the stream? I'm no expert, but it is just a thought.

HTH,

M.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Thank you both for your responses. I am getting really despearate tyring to fix this, so I am going to try both!

Luca - Unfortunately, I have never even come accross dealing with the host file before. I have had a quick look on the net and I am none the wiser. Could you possible give me a brief walkthrough on what I need to do?

Porky - I have come accross this issue of not using "Auto" as the IP Address before but have never really found an acceptable answer in relation to this.

Things are complicated by the fact that I am using both a wireless router and a Switch - two clients connect via the switch and one via wireless. Am I thinking that both of them are potentially changing IP Adresses?

As I said, I am going to try both approaches - what IP Address did you use and how did you choose it?

Thanks again for all your help!

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi,

I have a similar setup. The 2 permanent clients in kitchen and bedroom run off AV Homeplugs (and bypass the router) and the laptops are used wirelessly. I don't think it matters what the actual IP address of the PC is, the client just needs to know where to look for the TV stream, and if your TV server IP address is changing due to the automatic distribution of IP addresses from the router then the clients become lost and confused.

Perhaps give the TV server PC a static IP address and see if it helps any.

The IP address I now use is based on the generic IP address for the router (192.168.1.254) and I just added up all the devices that access the router to place the IP address higher than that which could be automatically allocated. I use 192.168.1.120. The dynamic allocation of IP address starts at 192.168.1.101 and works up according to what is connected. There is no way I would have 20 devices connected, so by placing the IP address where I have ensures that nothing else can use it. Again, I'm no expert and others will probably give better descriptions or reasons to either do, or not do what I have.

HTH,

M.

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Help - "unable to play stream 3.0"

Hi,

there is an option in your router where you can set static ip addresses for you clients in your dhcp range. Another possibility is to give your machine a static address on the machine itself. It has to be in the dhcp range as-well.

Then you can add your tv-servers address to the hosts file on your clients. First you have to start the editor with administrator privileges and the open the file %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and add a line as in my attached picture.

Also have a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

Attachments

• Bild 1.png
      Bild 1.png
      30.2 KB

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I have looked at your further posts and have had a go and giving my server a static ip address, by doing the following:

Clicking on Local Area Connection
    Properties
    Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
    Properties

I then clicked "Use the following IP address"
    IP address: 192.168.1.120
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

"Use the following DNS server addresses:
    Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1
    Alternate DNS server: I left blank

I then clicked ok and suddenly go the option to choose 192.166.1.120 in the Streaming Server IP address section:

I think!!!? I have sorted the problem at long last.

Could you possibly confirm that what I have done is ok? Particularly that DNS server number - I have no idea what it should be, I just copied the Default gateway.

Thanks v much

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    GOOOOOOALLLLLL!

Problem has been finally sorted out - I can play TV on any client everytime.

Many thanks to you guys. The problem has finally been sorted after so many months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom