Help with Apache problems (1 Viewer)

martyyn

Portal Pro
November 5, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Everyone,

I had a previous version of iPimp working brilliantly a while ago (cant remember which version sorry) but then had problems when I tried to upgrade to a newer version a few weeks ago. I stupidly left it thinking Id come back to it, but life got in the way and now I cant remember what I did.

Ive tried uninstalling everything but and rebooting but each time I try and install 5.0.0.550 I get errors with the Apache install.

Im installing the singleseat version on RC6 and XP. I always get 'TCO port 80 is currently in use, the Apache service install may throw errors'. I then get 'There is an error in httpd.conf' and the install continues. I havent used Apache for anything other than the previous version of ipimp but Im stuff as to where to go from here.

All I get is a blank page at the web address on my ipod touch and if I try to start the service manually it fails.

Ive attached my logs but if there is anything else you need let me know. Hopefully I can get this working again.

Khurram

Portal Pro
May 12, 2008
Home Country
Pakistan Pakistan
If it says "tcp port 80 is in use", then you cant use it for apache. Most probably you have IIS installed which listens on port 80 by default. You have 3 options:
1) Remove IIS and then install iPimp. This is not possible if you need IIS for something.
2) Change the port IIS listens on (requires a bit of 'work'). Now you can install iPimp+Apache normally.
3) Temporarily stop IIS, install iPimp + Apache normally, then edit httpd.conf to make Apache listen on another port. Most people use port 8080 as the alternate port, but it is really up to you. Now you can start both IIS and Apache and both will be happy.

martyyn

Portal Pro
November 5, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
Thanks Khurram,

The thing is I havent installed IIS (as far as Im aware) all Ive done is install a previous version of ipimp which worked perfectly. Now Im trying to get v5 working and even if I uninstall the previous version it still leaves something behind using port 80.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did you uninstall the previous version of pimp / apache? I have no experiance with pimp, but you probably left half an installation in place and it is still using port 80.

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2006
    UK
    Uninstall apache and in IIS point the default web site|home directory|local path = C:\Program Files\iPiMP\Aspx

If IIS isn't installed (should be off startmenu|admin tools) then control panel|add remove programs|add/remove windows components and tick IIS (you'll need windows dvd or i386 folder on hd)

Dunno why you'd use apache for an asp.net web app?

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you want to find out what process is listening on a TCP port run the following command:

Code:
    netstat -abnop TCP

This lists out all TCP ports currently listening on your PC with the name of the executable which created the listening port.

Running this command on my PC shows that I have an Apache process (httpd.exe) running with process ID 944 listening on port 8080 on all IP addresses (0.0.0.0)

TCP 0.0.0.0:8080 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 944
    [httpd.exe]

You can then search your C:\ drive to loacte the .exe involved and therefore determine what using your port 80.

The troubleshooting section of the wiki includes the command above to help diagnosis.
    That's referred to in the forum announcement How to Report Bugs and Get Support for iPiMP.

Also in the Tips & Tricks section of the wiki are detailed instructions on how to manually remove everything to do with iPiMP.

@HappyTalk - iPiMP uses Apache to simplify support, it's easier to support a single web server with a known configuration than multiple versions of IIS on multiple versions of Windows (e.g. IIS5.1, IIS6, IIS7, IIS7.5, 32bit/64bit, website, virtual directory, host headers etc. etc.) Apache can co-exist with other web servers if users use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom