Help with slow tuning (1 Viewer)

octessence

Portal Pro
May 8, 2012
Germany
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
OK, I ran MP in debug mode. It is configured to start the TV automatically.

First channel it zapped at start up was BBC Two Wales (DVB-S). Then after a delay I switched to BBC One Wales (DVB-S). Then back to BBC Two again. Then to two HD channels BBC HD and ITV HD. In all switched I left about 20 seconds in between.

improwise

Portal Member
May 29, 2006
I've battled with the same problem for many years and never been able to find a solution. Have DVBViewer, DVBLink etc. also installed on my HTPC and they all blow MediaPortal out of the water when it comes to speed/performance (not only channel tuning). Switching channels in DVBViewer never takes more than 2-3 seconds, switching the same channels in MediaPortal never takes less than 15 seconds. I've kind of given up on finding a solution to this to be honest.

As mentioned in another thread, there is a HUGE difference between encrypted and not encrypted channels. The former takes at least 20 seconds, the later only a few seconds. In DVBViewer etc. all channel switches takes a few seconds. So it seems that MediaPortal have big problems with encrypted channels (DVB-C / CONAX)

Last edited:

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    Hi,

Although I had't noticed it, in the latest rebuild I did a few months ago, my channel changes had got very slow.

I have MS Security Essentials installed and I had already configured it not to scan my timeshifting folder.

However, because of the slow channel changes I did some more investigation tonight and disabled the advanced setting > real time protection is Security Essentials.

I went back into mediaportal and my channel changes really fly now. I can't believe the difference. Huge difference!!! Maybe from 12-14 secs to 3 secs.

I also changed the zap delay in MP config > GUI > On-Screen Delay from 2 seconds to 0 seconds.

This basically means that when using the remote it will change channel immediately rather than wait for any more input from the remote.

octessence

Portal Pro
    May 8, 2012
    Germany
    Home Country
    Fantastic the real-time scanner thing worked!!! Thanks for that.

I disabled the real-time scan and got a channel change of ~2 seconds. That entire log output I first posted now takes 0.8 seconds. Some of what was taking seconds before is now taking milliseconds!

As this effectively disables virus protection, I played with some options for excluding stuff to see if I could get it working fast without needing to disable the real-time option. Excluding folders doesn't work, but if you exclude the tvservice.exe process you get the same fast speeds even with the real-time scanner on.

Personally I like a high on-screen delay (in fact I would prefer it to be infinite). I like to slowly look through channels and then click OK to switch if I see something else I want to watch. If I don't, I would prefer it to time out and disappear if I don't click OK. Sort of like default Sky Box or WMC behaviour really.
    @improwise, I don't use any encrypted channels. Since I got Netflix and a US VPN, I have no use for subscription channels. I don't really watch sport that much except for F1 either.
    Anyway thanks again.

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    That's great. Glad it worked. It was like a eureka moment for me once I sorted it!!!

Maybe MS changed the way the real time scanner works because it never used to be that bad. Anyway, good that it is now sorted.

As for browsing channels I always go for the on-screen mini EPG which works great.

Last edited:

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I am just "fine tuning" my server and new TBS TV cards and I am trying to get the zapping time down a bit.

All my clients are on a wired Gigabit network. When a clients initialises the TV stream it takes around 30-34 seconds to get the video and sound through. After this, any channel changes take about 6 seconds - are there any 'simple' fixes to speed things up a bit.

I'll post logs up - which are required? TV Server, client or both??

EDIT - Add Logs from the Bedroom Client. Time started around 08:50. First TV Channel is ITV3+1, plays for about 20 seconds then changes to Channel 4, then Channel 4 HD then ITV1 HD. Client is then closed down.

EDIT - 2nd TV Log (1.7Mb) is from TV Server. All detail should be read from 08/11/2012. At first I was accessing from laptop (nc6400) and then went to "Bedroom Client". Time is about 08:50 - ish, and channel changes as in edit note above.

Last edited:

jonm

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2009
    Wales
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    TV initialisation is about 25 to 29 seconds.

That sounds really wrong, I wonder what's going on there? I'll have a look at your logs when I get a chance.[DOUBLEPOST=1352371158][/DOUBLEPOST]What do you have "Preferred network provider" set to in the card properties?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom