Help with stuttering TV playback (1 Viewer)

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

I am running 1.3RC in a Server-Client multiseat setup.

Server is a WHS2011, Client W7 x64 Home Premium installation.
    When watching live TV, I experience stuttering playback (both audio and video).
    I have a twin tuner Digital Devices DVB-S2 device with good signal levels (Astra 19.2°E).
    Network connection is not a problem (Gigabit Network on Cat7 cables, Write operations from server to client happen with >100 MB/s). Streaming of other HD media from the server works seamless.
    I use LAV filters with standard setting from the installation. The server's CPU is a bit small (Celeron Processor on LGA1155), but CPU usage when streaming live TV is at about only 10-15%, so I don't think that this is the problem.
    4 GB RAM, RAM usage when streaming abou 70%.

I have tried a bit with timeshifting, but no luck there. All drives on the server are standard harddisks (no SSD, no RAM-Disk). Timeshift buffer is in the standard installation directory on the system drive. When moving this to the server pool (Drive bender pool with 6 physical drives), the problem gets a lot worse. May I assume that there might be an issue with write operations to the timeshiftbuffer causing these problems? How should I setup timeshift values to avoid these problems? Or are there other bottlenecks that might cause my issues.

BTW, the problem is a lot better when recording TV and watching afterwards.

I appreciate your help :)

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wow, I had no idea that this option exists. And I had no idea that this might have an impact like this. I am just streaming a HD TV station without any problems - if this persists, I will call you my personal hero of the week :) Thanks a lot.

(Can anyone link to an explanation of the technical background for this improvement? Also, in the linked thread there were statements that the root drive has to be shared; I have not shared my server's C:\ and anyway at first glance this seems to work... why should one share the root drive?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom