Help with TV setup (1 Viewer)

Old school Bob

August 13, 2020
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I ran the zip file I downloaded yesterday. Good news is the TV still works. Bad news is the driver didn't seem to change. When I checked the driver it shows the exact same as the screen save as the last photo in the above post.

Next I went to the Hauppauge page and ran the zip file from there. Same results - no change in the driver.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right. I got this notice at the end:

driver03.JPG

And yes, it booted automatically both times.

Could i have had the latest driver all along?

What is confusing to me is the Hauppauge site says "This will update the firmware to version 20171206." But the 'installation complete' notice says (20118162). Why the difference?

Bob

Old school Bob

August 13, 2020
Home Country
This says "Enable policy to prevent services startup" Are you sure I should do that?

What does that mean?

mp 21.JPG

This is my next step before I re-scan.

Thanks

Bob

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Bad news is the driver didn't seem to change. When I checked the driver it shows the exact same as the screen save as the last photo in the above post.
    The MP Wiki specifically mentions a driver package with a more-recent date, but it is possible that not all items in that driver package were changed.

I have just looked at the driver dates contained in the INF files in the package, and the dates for the tuner box drivers seem to be dated 03/05/2013. (There are various INF files, and it is not obvious to me which is the correct one, but they all have a date of 03/05/2013.) The only INF file with a different date is the one for the infra-red remote control (11/02/2011).

What is new in the package is the file WinTV-DCR-Upgrade.exe, which I think is the firmware upgrade. This is dated 2017-12-07. So possibly what MP needs in order for the tuner box to work correctly is the updated firmware, rather than an updated driver.

What is confusing to me is the Hauppauge site says "This will update the firmware to version 20171206." But the 'installation complete' notice says (20118162).
    This is mentioned on the Hauppauge web page. If you run "setup.exe" again, it should this time show the correct (updated) version number for the firmware. Since both driver and firmware are up to date, "setup.exe" won't actually make any changes.

It is possible that if you start an MP scan now, the scan will succeed...

One more question - if I click on that "Enable Policy" , is it reversible?
    Yes -- see the screen shot that I included in this post from me.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    1) Run the Hauppauge driver package again if you haven't run it twice already.
    2) Turn off WMC in MP Configuration.
    3) Restart computer.
    4) Scan for channels.

Old school Bob

August 13, 2020
    Home Country
    So possibly what MP needs in order for the tuner box to work correctly is the updated firmware, rather than an updated driver.

How can I check if I have the latest firmware and where do I get it?

I ran the setup twice - once from my zip file and once from the Hauppauge page. Where do I look to see if my firmware is the latest?

Yes -- see the screen shot that I included in this post from me.

It is possible that if you start an MP scan now, the scan will succeed...

That sounds fine. What do you think I should scan channels with - ATCS Digital Terrestrial - Clear QAM Cable - or - Digital Cable?

Which QAM tuning frequency - HRC+3 - HRC - IRC - Standard - std Alternativ?

Thanks CyberSimian

The Sun's coming up - time for bed.

Bob

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    How can I check if I have the latest firmware and where do I get it?
    I ran the setup twice - once from my zip file and once from the Hauppauge page. Where do I look to see if my firmware is the latest?
    Running the driver install package should have updated the firmware at the same time. I had expected that it would display the new firmware version, but perhaps not. There does not seem to be any information on the Hauppauge web site on how to determine the firmware version -- all I can find is a "Quick Install" guide.

What do you think I should scan channels with - ATCS Digital Terrestrial - Clear QAM Cable - or - Digital Cable?
    Which QAM tuning frequency - HRC+3 - HRC - IRC - Standard - std Alternativ?
    Try what you used before (since it did find some channels, albeit not viewable ones). I think that was:
    • Clear QAM Cable
    • QAM Standard
    If that does not find any viewable channels (i.e. green channels), you may want to try all of the other possibilities. If each scan takes 11 hours to complete, you may exhaust your patience. Remember you can cancel the scan part-way through (perhaps after one or two hours) if the scan has not found any viewable channels. Also remember to delete all of the channels found so far (presumably all red) before starting the next scan.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    What do you think I should scan channels with - ATCS Digital Terrestrial - Clear QAM Cable - or - Digital Cable?
    I was randomly searching for DCR-2650 and MP using google, and came across this thread on the MP web site. It seems to be the master thread for using cable card tuners with MP. The thread is 70 pages long :eek:, but I suggest reading the first post on page 1, which was written by the developer who added cable card support to MP. (Sadly, he retired from the team a couple of years ago, and is no longer available for consultation.) Anyway...

Follow the instructions carefully:
    • There is something about editing the settings for each cable card tuner, but I don't understand what that means. It may be clearer to you when you have the relevant panel(s) on screen in front of you.
    • It says to select "Digital Cable" and then scan. So perhaps selecting "Clear QAM Cable" is the wrong choice. :confused:

Old school Bob

August 13, 2020
    Home Country
    Todays update. I opened MP configuration. Clicked the Enable policy. I checked that no channels were listed. Went to servers and opened '3 ATSC Hauppauge OpenCable Receiver -0'. Set tuning mode to Clear QAM Cable, set tuning frequency to QAM standard. Clicked scan for channels. It ran for over an hour. When I returned I checked TV channels. I had 67 channels and all were red. I then stopped scanning. I selected a channel and clicked preview and got preview failed all cards busy.

I still get the proper channel call sign and channel number as before so it's finding the channels. Also (for some reason) it lists each channel 3 times.

View attachment 206498

I haven't studied the MM update or followed his instructions yet. I guess that's next.

By the way - after clicking the Enable Policy and scanning channels I went back to my old TV on WMC and it didn't work. I went back into MP configuration and clicked Re-enable service and my TV is back.

Thanks

Bob

Old school Bob

August 13, 2020
    Home Country
    Tonight I tried "Digital Cable". First I checked for channels - none. Then clicked the Enable policy. Then Digital Cable - then Scan. It came back with "out of band service information"

mp 27.JPG

The scan was really fast but it came up with all red channels (same as before). I looked at 3rd party checks and it was back to:

mp 29.JPG

I thought maybe I didn't click the "Enable policy" so I did it all over again. Same results.

After that I tried my TV - it didn't work. I went back to configure and clicked Enable again - then disable. Tried TV again but this time it worked.

This is beginning to be the most difficult thing to figure out.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom