HEVC 10 bit washed out colours (1 Viewer)

Man Pang

Portal Pro
May 25, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This appears to be ubiquitous and I gather that some users overcome the issue of washed out colours from 10 bit video by configuring the renderer to use MadVR. While using MadVR as the renderer, I still don't see the rich vivid colours that appear when using VLC or PowerDVD as the player. Even when using the Cyberlink CODECs from PowerDVD (within Mediaportal 1), the colours are still washed out, yet they are rich and vivid in PowerDVD. As a workaround, I could instruct Mediaportal to play video within VLC but would rather have this issue solved using the Mediaportal's internal player. Does anybody have any solution to this problem. Thanks in advance.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm sure I saw very much the same question elsewhere, probably in the madvr section of the Doom9 forum but that one is so active I can no longer find it:eek:. From memory the solution was a setting in the hdr section of madvr, see the attached screenshot. Please note that the screenshot shows the latest version 0.92.17 which includes a clearer description of those settings which I believe was also the help the issue. Suggest you download the latest madvr and have a play with those hdr settings.:)
    madvr.jpg

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have used MadVr with the setting to allow MadVR to decide on how to perform the conversion but the colours are still very pale. I also used the setting to enable me to specify 3dlut files and again, absolute no effect. I tried this on 3 different computers - one with AMD Vega graphic (AMD 2600G) and the other 2 with Intel Kaby Lake graphics. What I cannot understand is why PowerDVD shows rich and vibrant colours, yet the PowerDVD CODECs within Mediaportal result in pale and washed out colours.

Megane

Portal Member
    March 18, 2008
    Bologna
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I have the same problem. :(
    I just bought the new TV, an LG CX. :)
    I use: Windows 10 x64 20H2, MadVR 0.92.17 (without any patch, mod or other "accessories"), LAV Filter 0.74.1, Driver ATI 21.1.1 (I have a Vega64), MediaPortal 1.27 and Moving Picture 1.8.4.1.
    Updated enough? ;)

Any suggestions on how to watch HDR movies in HDR?

P.S.
    With MPC-HC x64 1.9.8.115 all works fine... :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom