HEVC/X265 - 100% cpu load (1 Viewer)

BigAlb

Portal Member
October 31, 2014
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hi guys,
I'm experiencing some issues with the playback of HEVC (X265) files.

I'm running an AMD 5400K APU, on a windows 7 64-bit machine with MP 1.x (just upgraded to 1.11).

Long story short:
- with MP 1.11 and previous version, set to use LAV filters for everything, I end up getting 100% cpu usage and choppy playback;
- with MPC-HC 1.7.8, again set to use LAV filters (integrated in MPC-HC), the cpu load is around 30% and the playback is flawless.

Obviously there is something wrong... on a side note, I see that under "Codec and Renderer" in Mediaportal Configuration, the decoder is selectable for MPEG2, H264, VC-1, Divx/Xvid, but I see no mention of HEVC, that is indeed present within LAV filters config.

Almost forgot to say that LAV filters, in both MP 1.11 and MPC.HC, are set to use DXVA2 Native.

Any idea??

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    is HEVC selected in LAV Video/Formats? ->
    screen_1.JPG

BigAlb

Portal Member
    October 31, 2014
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    your CPU is too weak for H265, must use something from i7 family.

Not really the point, IMHO, as MPC-HC is decoding these files just fine.

is HEVC selected in LAV Video/Formats? ->
    View attachment 163669

Hi Helios61, I just double checked the settings of LAV filters and I can confirm that HEVC is selected as in your screenshot.
    BTW, I found three sample videos from x265.org, here: https://x265.com/hevc-video-files/
    I can easily watch the first two videos in MPC-HC with 20%-40% cpu load, while Mediaportal struggles with 80-100% cpu load and serious stuttering.
    The third one, in UHD, is indeed much more cpu intensive. With my setup, 80-90% cpu load in MPC-HC (minimal stuttering), and completely unwatchable in Mediaportal: that is, it plays back something like 3-4 frames per second!

Could you give it a try?

mantec

Portal Member
    January 25, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi guys,
    I'm experiencing some issues with the playback of HEVC (X265) files.

I'm running an AMD 5400K APU, on a windows 7 64-bit machine with MP 1.x (just upgraded to 1.11).

Long story short:
    - with MP 1.11 and previous version, set to use LAV filters for everything, I end up getting 100% cpu usage and choppy playback;
    - with MPC-HC 1.7.8, again set to use LAV filters (integrated in MPC-HC), the cpu load is around 30% and the playback is flawless.

Obviously there is something wrong... on a side note, I see that under "Codec and Renderer" in Mediaportal Configuration, the decoder is selectable for MPEG2, H264, VC-1, Divx/Xvid, but I see no mention of HEVC, that is indeed present within LAV filters config.

Almost forgot to say that LAV filters, in both MP 1.11 and MPC.HC, are set to use DXVA2 Native.

Any idea??
    In MP Config under codec and Renderer do you have Enhanced Video Renderer (EVR) selected if not select it and try the videos again.

BigAlb

Portal Member
    October 31, 2014
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    In MP Config under codec and Renderer do you have Enhanced Video Renderer (EVR) selected if not select it and try the videos again.

Yep, I'm already using EVR.

@BigAlb
    Please post full log files using the watchdog tool with option 1:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

I need these in order to see:
    1. Which splitter is being used.
    2. Confirm that the LAV video decoder is actually being used.

You can find the Mediaportal.log attached. I played back the three sample files (as found here: https://x265.com/hevc-video-files/):
    - BigBuckBunny_2000hevc.mp4 (UHD)
    - Tears_400_x265.mp4 (Full HD);
    - Tractor_500kbps_x265.mp4 (Full HD).

By the way, this HTPC has almost a clean installation, never messed with codecs and splitters IIRC.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks. :)

So, it looks like the LAV splitter and video code are being used as intended.
    Have you tried a sample that has audio, and if so is the behaviour different?

BigAlb

Portal Member
    October 31, 2014
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thanks. :)

So, it looks like the LAV splitter and video code are being used as intended.
    Have you tried a sample that has audio, and if so is the behaviour different?

Yes I tried also files with audio, same behaviour :(
    But... do you think it's just my pc? I mean, I think that this issue could be common, but if you have a cpu more powerful than a 5400k (i.e. most cpus!) I think you'll never notice it, as cpu will never reach 100% anyway (at least, with Full HD content) and thus it won't be stuttering / skipping frames.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes I tried also files with audio, same behaviour :(
    Okay.

But... do you think it's just my pc? I mean, I think that this issue could be common, but if you have a cpu more powerful than a 5400k (i.e. most cpus!) I think you'll never notice it, as cpu will never reach 100% anyway (at least, with Full HD content) and thus it won't be stuttering / skipping frames.
    I have no idea if it is just your PC.
    I would have thought that if MPC HC could play the videos with 20 - 40 % CPU then MP should have been able to do similar... but probably with a little bit higher CPU due to our GUI.

Have you tried to play the videos using GraphEdit/GraphStudio/GraphStudioNext? That would be the next thing I'd try...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom