HEVC/X265 - 100% cpu load (1 Viewer)

BigAlb

Portal Member
October 31, 2014
Home Country
Italy Italy
Can someone test it with LAV 0.65?

Fixed: Improved HEVC DXVA2 decoding on a few samples

Using software decoding, it seems to be the same performance as 0.64 - I don't have any hardware that supports HEVC decoding to try DXVA2.

I can confirm it, in 32-bit environment same performance as 0.64, way slower than Lentoid.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)
    Maybe @nevcairiel can explain the diff about LAV and Lentoid HEVC ?
    About Lentoid HEVC it seems to not support TS files but for sure i prefer to use LAV Filter codec :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Vasilich ,
    interesting data on the Strongene website. I haven't tested the download, not to speak used the codec yet, but for the Windows licenses the website states 2 US$ per unit with 10,000 decoders minimum purchase. Looks like they are targeting HTPC manufacturers only.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    From the download page - "LentoidDec is free for non-commercial use under the License Restrictions"

...and from the Strongene HEVC Decoder (SHD) manual:

"The personal use of SHD is free and encouraged, while both the integration of SHD into software and included for mobile Apps are also acceptable via software license or other commercial agreements."

Last edited:

felang

January 6, 2013
    Home Country
    Honduras Honduras
    Didn't want to start a new thread as I believe my issue is related, so here it goes... Recently I've started messing around with HEVC/X265 and my way outdated HTPC (E8400 Core2 CPU with AMD HD6450 GPU) seems to be stuttering a bit while playing 720p hevc encoded files while using LAV 0.68 (MP 1.14). The great info in this thread has pointed me in the direction of the Strongene decoder. While browsing there site I realized that in addition to the standard Windows version, an AMD Opencl version is also available. Has anyone compared them using similarly "weak" hardware? I'm thinking my GPU is probably too anemic to accelerate the decode properly so I'm probably better off with the windows version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom