High render time / tearing video (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
Normally with 1.4 I get very good render times, around 3ms but this afternoon (about 16:25-17:25 I think) I was watching a TV recording and there was a lot of tearing, so I checked and the render time was 17ms.
When I finished watching the recording, around 17:25, I tried LiveTV and had the same high render time with that too. I'd closed MP earlier so when I got home and woke my PC, it was on the desktop and I had to launch MP just before watching the recording.
When I was watching TV this morning, I didn't see any tearing then.

Steps to Reproduce:
Watch TV Recording or LiveTV

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
I don't think that's the issue as it only happens when I have this high render time. Normally, when I have low render time, it's fine.

I'm not sure if I've got vsync forced in display settings but I wouldn't really want to do that anyway as then it would be forced on games as well and sometimes I might want to run a game without it.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I don't think that's the issue as it only happens when I have this high render time. Normally, when I have low render time, it's fine.

As most likely the tearing wont be visible since frames get drawn when v-sync position is in the most upper part of the screen.

I'm not sure if I've got vsync forced in display settings but I wouldn't really want to do that anyway as then it would be forced on games as well and sometimes I might want to run a game without it.

Configure the drivers to force v-sync on application basis (this time for mediaportal.exe).

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    As most likely the tearing wont be visible since frames get drawn when v-sync position is in the most upper part of the screen.

Configure the drivers to force v-sync on application basis (this time for mediaportal.exe).

Ah yes, I forgot we could do that.

Nonetheless, isn't the (sometimes) high render time issue a problem in itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom