Ongoing Home Multiseat Setup (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Hello all,

We're just about to move home so ill be looking at an overhaul of our HTPC setup. We currently have a server that runs as its own client as well as a networked laptop client for streaming TV, music and movies....

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/wall-mounted-htpc-antec-fusion-panel.55442/

...but ill be looking for something a bit more permanent with the option of more clients in multiple rooms in our new house.

Only problem is im not really sure what the best approach would be for the client builds given that we'd like to keep costs down a bit, as well as not burning through too much electricity!

The general idea is to have a setup as follows:

qphxg6.jpg

As above, the server already exists (<-----see my specs) but im wondering if there is a cheap hardware solution for clients that are capable of handling 1080p video etc over LAN. Ive done a bit of reading about virtual PCs that are handled by the server and connected to the 'client' TV over HDMI cable and IR blaster, but the virtual machine software generally seemed to be cost only, and i have multiple copies of Win7 that i want to make use of to avoid forking out more dough.

Any ideas/discussions for the above setup would be most welcome

TIA :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

The cheapest client solution would probably be a RaspberryPi 2 running with Kodi/OpenElec, which comes at less than $50. However, you will have to add the SD-card, case and power supply, hence in the end you'll end up at about $80 and will still have a lot of work to do until things are up and running.

A more expensive but much more comfortable solution (ca.$140) would be to use one of the Intel Baytrail-based Mini-PCs, which come with full-blast Windows 8.1 Core, entitled to be updated to Win 10, and do a standard MePo client installation on it. I recently purchased one of these and it nicely fits into my HTPC installation at home, running MediaPortal and playing HD (both 1080p and 1080i) without any problems. See my report here .

To both prices above you will need to add the cost of the RC6 receiver and your MCE remote clone.

Regards,
    HTPC_Sourcer

Last edited:

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Good post, thanks.

Not sure about the Raspberry Pi solution as id imagine the specs are right on the edge of handling the media demands but I'll take a look at the Intel Baytrail builds as $140 (£90) is a fair price if it's capable of delivering. I assume that no graphics card would be needed to handle 1080p video on these?

Not sure ill need an OS pre installed either as I've got 5 or 6 copies of win7 available, so might even be able to save a few more pennies on dropping the win8 install that comes with those builds?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Correct, no graphics card needed. Graphics are handled by the Baytrail GPU.

There is no saving potential on the OS as Microsoft is giving Win 8.1 Core away for free on these low-grade machines. That is the reason why this Mini-PC has only 2 GB of RAM, which is the limit set by Microsoft.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Do you mean that win8.1 has a 2Gb minimum requirement so that's all they give you?

Btw, I've just seen that the mini pc builds don't work with WOL. Not really an issue for my setup as it's only the server that needs to wake from s3, but are there any other problems with hibernation? (I see you also can't wake it with usb peripherals, so waking up through ir blaster remote is also out I guess?)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do you mean that win8.1 has a 2Gb minimum requirement so that's all they give you?
    I can't tell how much min RAM Win 8.1 Core requires, but I can say that Microsoft is limiting the amount of RAM to 2 GB in order to give PC manufacturers the OS for free. In any case this is irrelevant for running MP on it.

Btw, I've just seen that the mini pc builds don't work with WOL.
    Until now I have not been able to get it running. There is one last thing I have not tried yet but will do so over the week-end.

but are there any other problems with hibernation?
    No

(I see you also can't wake it with usb peripherals, so waking up through ir blaster remote is also out I guess?)
    Where did you see that? My system wakes up immediately when I press the On/off button of my MCE remote and I did say so in the posting, which I have linked above:
    • Solution: open the device manager and search for the Generic USB Hub entry. Open its properties and deselect the energy option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
    • This way the connected USB devices remain on.
    • The PC can now be resumed from sleep with the MCE remote
    • This comes at the price of increased power consumption of 2.2W in S3.
    • Note that WOL from S5 will never be possible

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Ah i see, so its not a physical limit in these machines, the memory is still DDR socket and replaceable with a bigger stick?

Saw the piece about not waking from USB peripherals in the bit where you wrote 'Unfortunately all attempts to wake the system up with mouse, keyboard or remote fail. You have to press the button on the PC'. As you say though, there was a solution underneath in device manager which id glazed over.

Thanks for your help, i think these could be just the answer to what im after. An all in client for under £100 (less the ir blaster) is just about right :)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ah i see, so its not a physical limit in these machines, the memory is still DDR socket and replaceable with a bigger stick?
    Probably not. I did not open the case but I would expect all parts to be soldered and hence not replaceable. 2 GB is actually OK if the PC is used as a MP client only. I didn't notice any delayed GUI response etc. but obviously the system is not intended to to be used for video re-encoding.

An all in client for under £100 (less the ir blaster) is just about right :)
    Indeed. I am planning to buy another one...

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Nice one, i guess its the server that does most of the processing anyway, the clients just stream the video so dont have to be particularly special.

Are there similar mini pc's for that sort of price? Just wondered what made you choose the Justop as Im surprised you can get a half decent specced, out of the box solution for that sort of cash.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are there similar mini pc's for that sort of price? Just wondered what made you choose the Justop as Im surprised you can get a half decent specced, out of the box solution for that sort of cash.
    This hardware design is kind of fixed as it appears to be governed by Microsoft's restrictions for giving its OS away for free. You will find different brands and models in the field, but taking a closer look at them reveals that they all run similar hardware with the same Baytrail CPU. Because of that my purchase decision was solely on price and the Justop looked like a good offer.

At some point you just have to buy (and 90 GBP is not much) or you wil fall to: "When is the best time to buy a computer? Tomorrow of course when it will be cheaper!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom