Ongoing Home Multiseat Setup (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Good read, thanks. If i get the same results, ill try and come up with something a bit more permanent as i have access to cnc and milling machines where i work. May even look at designing a whole new enclosure for it with proper passive heatsink mountings. £90 is still a bargain for the specs imo, even if it takes a bit of customising in the long run.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you decide to take the mainboard off, thanks in advance of taking pictures of the other side and the heat sinks and pads used.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    If you decide to take the mainboard off, thanks in advance of taking pictures of the other side and the heat sinks and pads used.

My Justop turned up today, cant believe how small it is!! Havent fired it up yet, first thing i did was take the casing and mainboard apart (what a PITA getting the top off was, very fiddly to get it over the on/off button!).

Ive only taken a quick look but can understand why the cpu might get a bit hot given that its completely passive and doesnt have any thermal connection to the casing as a heatsink. It seems to me like it might be possible to wedge a heatsink between the top of the cpu shielding and the case lid, thus give it a bit more thermal sinking. Will have to come up with a way of fixing the heatsink in place though so its not just pinched in place. Will investigate further when i get a bit more time.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    but can understand why the cpu might get a bit hot given that its completely passive and doesnt have any thermal connection to the casing as a heatsink.
    The rectangular metal cover is not hiding the CPU. This is on the other side of the board. If the case cover is still off, remove the front (two screws) and look under the board. You will see the thich heat pad there that is connecting the die to the bottom of the case.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    The rectangular metal cover is not hiding the CPU. This is on the other side of the board. IF the case cover is still of, remove the front (two screws) and look under the board. You will see the thich heat pad there that is connecting the die to the bottom of the case.

Interesting. I did see the pads, i assumed they were extra spacing to stop the bottom of the mainboard touching the case and shorting it out! Will have to tread carefully if using a heatsink in that case, as the surface area touching the die will have to be quiet small to avoid contact with surrounding components. May even stick with the other idea of making my own enclosure and fitting a very small fan to keep it as quiet as possible.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Check out my report in the other thread with the picture of a setup where I placed a heatsink on the case...

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Check out my report in the other thread with the picture of a setup where I placed a heatsink on the case...

Yes i saw it the other day. I think that the problem would be better dealt with by coming up with a solution for sinking the heat from the cpu to the case, rather than increasing the heatsink mass of the case itself, ie replacing the heat pads with a proper metal connection.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Just so you know, the cpu is definitely not on the bottom of the board as ive lifted the heatpad and theres nothing underneath it. It must be under the metal shielding that i mentioned before, which may make it possible to heatsink to the top lid and avoid having to mount the whole case on a heatsink.

I will experiment and report back.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks, that's really interesting. How is the heat then transferred to the bottom, because it's the bottom that is getting hot whereas the kittle metal shield on the board is just hand-warm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom