How can I manually add fanart for a tv series (1 Viewer)

Rbentley100

Portal Pro
December 6, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a few tv series (the 10th Kingdom, Mansfield Park and Jonathan Creek) that the auto grabber has retrived all the meta data correctly, except fanart.

There is fanart online at thetvdb however it doesnt seem to have been downloaded for me. So I was wondering how I could manually enter it myself?

Thanks in advance

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Open the Fanart Chooser window (F9 or info on remote when series is selected), and see if its in there....maybe it was filtered out e.g. had a series logo or did not meet your resolution requirements. You can change these options in Configuration.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    What if no poster & fanart can be found online, or if I just don't like the ones it finds?

Is there a way to manually choose/select jpg files I have sitting on my HDD to use for posters/backdrop, etc. ?

Last edited:

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    What if no poster & fanart can be found online, or if I just don't like the ones it finds?

Is there a way to manually choose/select jpg files I have sitting on my HDD to use for posters/backdrop, etc. ?

If the series exists at TheTVdB, and you have artwork sitting around, then if you create a useraccount at TheTVdB then it is a piece of cake to add the artwork. This will then not only fix it for you (it can take a little while before TheTVdB runs the cronjob to actually add new artwork to the XML/ZIP files, but majority is available within 15minutes in my experience), but you will also benefit the entire community.

And for your homevideos, or material not allowed at TheTVdB (such as sports), then indeed just follow @Edalex's link to the wiki above.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'd like to see some sort of local scraper method for fanart + season poster + season banner. This is so that people can have a series and not have to manually re-enter stuff everytime they create a new tv series database. I would have some kind of trigger eg. presence of a file called local_scrape.tvseries in the same folder as the media. If this file was present then tvseries would look for a fanart,banner, and season image in the same folder. Any media files in the folder would be added without attempting to find an online match. The files would be parsed as %series_name% - S##E## - %episode_title%. The file name format would be strict. I've been meaning to draw up a concept sometime for ltfearme.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I'd like to see some sort of local scraper method for fanart + season poster + season banner. This is so that people can have a series and not have to manually re-enter stuff everytime they create a new tv series database. I would have some kind of trigger eg. presence of a file called local_scrape.tvseries in the same folder as the media. If this file was present then tvseries would look for a fanart,banner, and season image in the same folder. Any media files in the folder would be added without attempting to find an online match. The files would be parsed as %series_name% - S##E## - %episode_title%. The file name format would be strict. I've been meaning to draw up a concept sometime for ltfearme.

Might be easiest to expand on the existing method. When MP-TVSeries adds a show it gets the language.zip file from TheTVdB with the XML content on how to add the show. These XML files are easy to create yourself and you would only have to do it once. Kinda like an XBMC styled NFO for MovPic, except then for an entire TV-show with multiple episodes.

Started a ticket on that before -- http://code.google.com/p/mptvseries/issues/detail?id=548

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Interesting idea. There are a couple of series that have been marked as ended on thetvdb, but have been brought back to life. Recent example is Arrested Development. Creating custom xml files, is too difficult for most end users, However renaming files to a particular special format, dropping images in folders, or saving an empty file with a specific name would be easy enough.

A custom manual tv series solution would have to be able to support the following
    1. Allow user to add content to existing series, eg. DVD extras that are not allowed on tvdb
    2. Allow user to add custom content not on thetvdb such as series of home movies and provide local copy of fanart + series poster + series banner + season poster + season banner + episode images (either from generated thumbs or jpg)

And Possibly:
    3. Some users might have a big folder of files that don't match the Season + episode naming format and that want to just lump them into a series, where the filename is just displayed under the series. or perhaps lump them into a series+season.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @kiwijunglist, but actual TV-series like that are updated just fine at TheTVdB, case in point: http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=72173&seasonid=500127&lid=7

The custom import would only apply to the list of content that is not allowed to be added to TheTVdB, and there is an existing method to do so now which is documented on Wiki. My .zip/xml suggestion was more towards the point of making it easier for offline imports or transferring custom-shows from one system to another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom