How do I add second DVB-S card? (1 Viewer)

meierk

Portal Pro
February 28, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
TV-Server Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: XP SP3
CPU Type: AMD 4850e
HDD: Seagate 80gig
Memory: Corsair PC2-6400 DDR2 800
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
Video Card: Integrated ATI HD3200
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 8.5
Sound Card: Integrated
Sound Card AC3: Optical Out
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Skystar 2
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver: 4.5
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC-HC
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Echostar 8,10
HTPC Case: Silverstone LC16M
Cooling:
Power Supply: Corsair
Remote: Harmony One
TV: Samsung LN52A580
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I currently have a Skystar 2 card in my MediaPortal and I have a Skystar HD 2 on order. I have several questions that I hope someone can answer.

1. Do I need to worry about which order the cards appear in the TV Server configuration? (i.e. HD card first)

2. How will MediaPortal determine which card to use when viewing channels, especially in the case where the channel is HD?

3. If a client start watching and non HD channel, will the TV Server know to use the non HD card unless that card is already in use?

4. Do I need to rescan for channels are does MediaPortal just use whichever card is available for the channels already scanned by my first card?

Thanks,
Kevin
:confused:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How will MediaPortal determine which card to use when viewing channels, especially in the case where the channel is HD?

You only assign HD channels to the one card, SD can go to all receiving cards.

Card order is irrelevant.

Others not sure about, but would assume dvb-s is SD only and dvb-S2 would need to be tuned for HD channels, when all done, make sure you export to a backup, do not save in the mediaportal folders just in case :)

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The Skystar HD 2 will not work with your provider for HD. Echostar 8/10 use turbo 8psk for HD, & that tuner doesn't support it. Last I heard, the skywalker is the only DVB card available that does turbo 8psk.

But as for your questions, the priority of the card is set in the TV server by moving it up & down in the list. If an HD card is given a higher priority, it will always be selected first, even if you've selected an SD channel that it also receives.

Make sure the card has a lower priority, & that only it is mapped to the HD channels & don't do channel combining. This way, the other card will get priority unless an HD feed is picked.

meierk

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks PD and x4mer for your quick responses. I gets I should have done more research before purchasing the second card, but I guess it will still work for most channels.

ColinT

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No Multiple HD cards?

Paranoid Delusion Says
    You only assign HD channels to the one card, SD can go to all receiving cards

I was about to buy a second card to be able to receive /record multiple HD channels (on different satellites) is this a general limitation on Medaiportal (I had not heard it before and cannot fined it in the documentation)

Regards Colin

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    He was only referring to the O.P.'s setup, whose first card was SD only.

Multiple HD works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom