How do I get a Logitech Harmony to work with MP? (1 Viewer)

pschwar

Portal Member
November 18, 2007
Home Country
Finland Finland
Been searching through the forums, can't find an answer to this...

Let's say I got a WinXP HTPC (non-MCE) running MP - I want it to a Logitech Harmony 895 to work with MP - What hardware do I need to add to my HTPC so the Harmony will work with it?

Thanks in advance! :)

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
A IR receiver.. im using the one supplied with the MCE remote with my harmony remote, but im sure there are many others as well. Alot of HTPC's even get delivered with them built in.

afterwards you just set the harmony remote up to be used with MCE, and use the remappings in MP setup.. and everything is perfect =)

pschwar

Portal Member
November 18, 2007
Home Country
Finland Finland
afterwards you just set the harmony remote up to be used with MCE, and use the remappings in MP setup.. and everything is perfect =)

That's good to hear, thanks!

How about some of those TV-tuner cards out there that come with remotes, do they also include IR receivers?

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway

How about some of those TV-tuner cards out there that come with remotes, do they also include IR receivers?

I guess so, but those built in IR-receiver in TV cards will almost certainly only be able to control the Card itself.

synthdood

Portal Pro
March 9, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
In my previous setup (laptop) I used the USB receiver that comes with the microsoft MCE remote. I just finished building a new dedicated HTPC around a Dign/Origen H5 case. The Origen case includes a display and IR reciever that are driven by the IRtrans driver which is natively supported by Mediaportal and which is fully compatible with the MCE remote.

In the Harmony configuration all you need to do is add Media Center device. If your HTPC works with an original MCE remote, it will also work with a Harmony remote.

Pedernal74

Portal Pro
September 19, 2007
Burgos
Home Country
Spain Spain
I have working my MediaPortal configuration with a Harmony 555 remote and the Hauppauge receiver (the one included with a Nova PCI card). You can configure it with the Harmony software selecting MediaPortal as Media Center . It works quite good.

AvsFan

Portal Pro
November 30, 2006
What about the Harmony Xbox 360 Remote, will that one work with MP too? I'm assuming it will because it's basically the same just a different model but I want to be sure. Are you able to program all of the Harmony buttons in MP or will some be unable to be used?

Also, are most/all IR receivers line-of-sight or can the receiver be "hidden"?

Thank you

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
All remotes that are able to work as MCE remotes _should_ work 100% with MP. With Harmony remotes you can also setup the remote to be mapped for MP specifically.

About the harmony remote for 360: If its remap able then there should be no problem. However I dont know, you could send a mail to their support and ask if its using the harmony remote DB. You could even read up on it your self. If it does it shouldnt be a problem.

In my experience you should have it visible, might work behind minor objects, but it would definitively make the signal weaker. Ive got mine "hidden" under the TV.
|
|
|
|___________TV___________|
___[IR]___|||||||||||_________

like this =)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

I guess so, but those built in IR-receiver in TV cards will almost certainly only be able to control the Card itself.

I think this is wrong. Hauppauges remotes can control MediaPortal. I'd go for a MCE-remote bundle,though. The remote itself is (IMO) crap compared to the MS, but the IR reciever is the same.

SouSaRMS

December 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    where can i get a ir receiver if i have a box that don't have one.... or don't have ir receivers from other remotes ???

any store sell ir receiver to work with universal remotes like logitech ??? the connection of the infrared receiver is trough USB ???

hope you can answer me

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom