How do I get MediaPortal to separate recording files by channel and month?

Discussion in 'General' started by ChaosMageX, March 24, 2019.

1. ChaosMageX

ChaosMageX Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I want MediaPortal to automatically separate the show folders containing the recording files by channel and by month, so that the folder layout ends up looking something like this:

E:\MediaPortal\Recordings-2019-03\KHOU-DT\60 Minutes
    E:\MediaPortal\Recordings-2019-03\KHOU-DT\The Big Bang Theory
    E:\MediaPortal\Recordings-2019-03\KHOU-DT\Young Sheldon
    E:\MediaPortal\Recordings-2019-03\KPRC-HD\Superstore
    E:\MediaPortal\Recordings-2019-03\KRIV-DT\9-1-1
    E:\MediaPortal\Recordings-2019-03\KRIV-DT\Bob's Burgers
    E:\MediaPortal\Recordings-2019-03\KRIV-DT\Family Guy
    E:\MediaPortal\Recordings-2019-03\KRIV-DT\The Orville
    E:\MediaPortal\Recordings-2019-03\KRIV-DT\The Simpsons
    E:\MediaPortal\Recordings-2019-03\KTRK-HD\The Good Doctor
    E:\MediaPortal\Recordings-2019-03\KTRK-HD\Whiskey Cavalier

Basically, I want every recording folder corresponding to a show to be within a folder named after the call-sign of the channel from which that show was recorded, and that to be within a folder named after the month in which it was recorded, and that to be within the root recording storage folder.

How do I make that happen automatically? Will I have to write some kind of custom plugin? How complex will it end up being?

Last edited: March 25, 2019
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 21
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    This is not possible. You can currently only filter by either name or channel. In each option auto-grouping by show name will occur. The date filtering is not working and has been dropped in the next release.

You would need to expand the existing management of Recordings and add additional filtering options. The code is public and you are welcome to suggest code extensions in the respective forum section.

What you want is a combined filter though, which we would probably deny for being too special. The filter by date (month) is meaningful, however, not if forcibly combined with channel. I don't understand the need for such a filter as I would think that a user is interested in the show itself rather than the channel. Or am I missing something?

4. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,196 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    With the greatest respect, ChaosMageX seems to be talking about the file system rather than the user interface (filtering).

Perhaps we could get a clarification?

If the question does relate to the file system, the following information is relevant:
    Recording

Assuming the base recording folder/directory is "E:\MediaPortal", I think the desired structure could be [roughly] achieved with "\\Recordings-%startyear%-%startmonth%\\%channel%\\%title%\\"... followed by whatever file name format was desired.

Last edited: March 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 2

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!