How do I play DTS-HD, TrueHD in MKV, M2TS, etc. ?? -- SOLVED!! (1 Viewer)

luci5r

Portal Pro
May 30, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.2 RC
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP 1.6.6
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
CPU Type: Intel Core i5-2500K (3.3Ghz)
HDD: Seagate 6.0Gb/s 2TB
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Video Card: Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge)
Video Card Driver: Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge)
Sound Card: Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge)
Sound Card AC3: SPDIF/Optical Out (Sandy Bridge)
Sound Card Driver: Intel HD 3000 (Sandy Bridge)
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Colossus
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: CoreAVC 2.5.5
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC 2.5.5
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Comcast
HTPC Case: Rosewill Gear X3
Cooling:
Power Supply: Rosewill Green Series 630W
Remote: Hauppauge 45-Button
TV: Samsung PN63C8000 3D Plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI 1.4a

I just bought & setup a Receiver (Yamaha RX-A2000); before this I could not play HD Audio, but now I can! The very first thing I noticed playing some of HD content was that HD Audio was not playing through containers like MKV, M2TS, TS etc. The only audio that seems to be playing is "Dolby Digital 5.1" and other non-HD audio codecs.

ArcSoft Total Media Theater is able to play ALL HD Audio ... DTS, DTS-HD Master, Dolby TruHD, etc. ... through MKV, M2TS or full BD ISO's ... however, MediaPortal is only playing Dolby Digital & DTS. No HD Audio!!

I have the "MPC" codec selected in the audio codecs in MediaPortal Configuration.

Do I need to use some other codec?

Thanks!!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: How do I play DTS-HD, TrueHD in MKV, M2TS, etc. ??

You need a codec like LAV, these are being improved by nevcairiel daily and are a good addition to simplify setup for playing more formats than Win7 supports.

These are available via the mpei installer, just update list on tab 3 using "download online update info" codec setting are under start menu programs once installed.

luci5r

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2011
    Home Country

You need a codec like LAV, these are being improved by nevcairiel daily and are a good addition to simplify setup for playing more formats than Win7 supports.

These are available via the mpei installer, just update list on tab 3 using "download online update info" codec setting are under start menu programs once installed.

Let me give it a shot! I'm not good with codecs & stuff so I guarantee I will be back here grunting.

Thanks!!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country

Codecs can be a nightmare, so simple is best, all video\tv\dvd set both mpeg and h.264 HD to Microsoft, all audio to LAV, then the only time the Lav video codec kicks in is in a format that M$ does not support.

All you should need to do is enable bitstreaming formats as in LAV audio config picture (found in Start menu\programs)

sshot-6.jpg

Then change the audio codecs in MP config to LAV and you should be good to go.

luci5r

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2011
    Home Country

I'm stuck already!!! :(
    I updated the "Download Online Update Info" on Tab 3 in the MPEI Installer. But what next? I don't see LAV anywhere in the "Known Extensions" list. Where should I look for it?

THANKS!!

Sorry to be a PITA!!

EDIT:

I found the Extension you were talking about online; I'm going to install it now & see if I can follow your steps.

Codecs can be a nightmare, so simple is best, all video\tv\dvd set both mpeg and h.264 HD to Microsoft, all audio to LAV, then the only time the Lav video codec kicks in is in a format that M$ does not support.

All you should need to do is enable bitstreaming formats as in LAV audio config picture (found in Start menu\programs)

View attachment 90445

Then change the audio codecs in MP config to LAV and you should be good to go.

Ok -- I installed the LAV Extension -- changed all video to Microsoft & Audio to LAV in video/tv/dvd in the MediaPortal Configuration.

In the LAV Audio Config ... do I need to click anything?? You said you need to enable bistreaming in the LAV config ... however ... the screenshot you posted does not have anything checked in the BitStreaming section. Do I need to check anything?

This is what my MediaPortal Configurations look like ...

Config1.PNG

Config2.PNG

And my LAV Audio Configuration ...

Config3.PNG

IT WORKS!!

100% Flawless!! The LAV Extension solved it. I can now play DTS-HD Master, Dolby TruHD, DTS & all other audio in MKV, M2TS or any container via MediaPortal.

Thank You - Thank you so much!!

m0t0k0

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2010
    Bicester
    Home Country
    Do you have DTS-HD logo showing on your amp now as it tried LAV for bitsreaming and I could not get it to work. Looking on the LAV web page it says you need to

With LAV Audio, decoding DTS-HD is as simple as decoding any other audio format. You just need to get the “dtsdecoderdll.dll” from your “Codecs” directory inside the TMT installation, and drop it inside the directory you installed LAV Audio to. Thats all!

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2009
    Home Country
    For anyone that wants to get this enabled without using LAV for whatever reason (I'd never heard of LAV prior to today) - FFDShow latest versions (not the sourceforge versions, but the newest versions for example from xvidvideo.ru) can easily bitstream everything to your receiver. I have MPC Filters and FFDShow latest installed and just use MPC for H.264 and FFDshow for all audio, and all video non-H.264. Then in FFDShow audio config there is an option to bitstream everything. Works flawlessly and I play MKV files with DTS-M and TrueHD all the time.

Are there any advantages to using LAV over just bitstreaming everything through FFDShow?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: How do I play DTS-HD, TrueHD in MKV, M2TS, etc. ?? -- SOLVED!!

I also use ffdshow audio decoder for bitstreaming HD Audio.

m0t0k0

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2010
    Bicester
    Home Country
    I downloaded the latest stable release from FFDShow tryouts site is this the correct one or do I need SVN?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: How do I play DTS-HD, TrueHD in MKV, M2TS, etc. ?? -- SOLVED!!

You need the latest SVN. I posted a link in your other thread. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom