How fast CPU for server and client HTPC? (1 Viewer)

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    The TvServer does not need powerful CPU except if you want to transcode the stream to mobile clients. The J1900 CPU can transcode one HD stream without issues. The main issue is that if you need PCI slots for 4 DBV C/C2 cards.
    Let me ask you one thing here, the J1900 CPU is 4 core CPU, does it transcode one HD stream or more without issues? If you use this J1900 CPU for TV server and you want to stream TV to 3 MP client simultaneosly, still TV Server needs just 1 core form this CPU? Is in this case CPU strong enough to stream 3 HD streams in parallel?

I have Digital Devices TV cards, where I need just one PCIe slot, so this is fine.

Two MP1 clients are watching FTA HD channel.

j1900_hd2.PNG

Transcoding HD channel to aMPdroid with Android HD profile results 100% CPU usage. Using HQ profile results 70% CPU usage.

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hi HTPCSourcer,

is this valid for AMD CPUs with IGP as well the sentence about "Modern CPUs (e.g. Intel with in-built GPUs) can stream DVB-S signals without significant CPU load"? Is there any special setting to use IGP instead of CPU for TV streaming to MP clients?

I am planing to use same HW for TV Server and NAS (to integrate both in one PC), which make sence I think due to fact the TV server can have fast access to the NAS data like films, videos etc. Anyway the point about LAN and aynchronic medium is veru good as I did not think about the LAN utilized by TV streaming and NAS data together - is this your point, right? Anyway in your case with RamDisk, why do you thing RamDisk can improve TV streaming performance if the NAS data and TV streaming has to share same LAN? I did not catch this.

Regarding to the 2core and 4 core CPUs, I would have simple question, which CPU is better for TV Server + NAS:
    • 2 core CPU with let say CPU benchmark ~1500
    • 4 core CPU with same CPU benchmark as 2 core CPU

Regarding to the 2core and 4 core CPUs, I would have simple question, which CPU is better fMP client:
    What do you think?

Best regards,
    marttoma[DOUBLEPOST=1440449213][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi regeszter,

Thanks fro clear pictures. I would have same question to you:

Regarding to the 2core and 4 core CPUs, I would have simple question, which CPU is better for TV Server + NAS:

Regarding to the 2core and 4 core CPUs, I would have simple question, which CPU is better fMP client:
    BTW I have one MP client with J1900 CPU with active cooling and it running quite well, just I have Wifi not so fast, which connects it to the SingleSeat MP configuration, it has SSD inside. Now I am thinking to built up new MP client and question is what is better if 2core or 4core CPU, if both have same CPU benchmark - in case of 2 core just one core I think is stronger then in case of 4 cores..., anyway it is also question if the MP will be faster with Titan skin or now...

What do you think?

Best regards,
    marttoma

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary

I think 4 cores are better because the tvservice, mysql, ffmpeg, and the NAS function run on the TvServer.

I think both of them ok, because the main work is on the IGP if it supports h264 decoding/deinterlaceing.

anyway it is also question if the MP will be faster with Titan skin or now...

1. Start taskmanager (cpu performance view) and let run it on the desktop
    2. Start MP and use it (start TV or video, navigate in the GUI)
    3. Close MP and check the taskmanager. If you see high cpu usage than the better CPU will results better MP performance.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Not much to add to the above (y)

Anyway in your case with RamDisk, why do you thing RamDisk can improve TV streaming performance if the NAS data and TV streaming has to share same LAN? I did not catch this.
    MP is writing timeshift files on a disk. these files are then read by the client. Both writing and reading is time-sensitive and anything interfering with this process can cause stuttering and other unpleasant things. The server hardware has no means of distinguishing if a hard disk operation is for TV or any other read/write process. That said, if parallel activities with significant disk loads are taking place, e.g. client backup activities, the timeshift file read/write process can be delayed, which will prompt Live TV to be interrupted (like being paused).

Because of this timshift files should at minimum be placed on a separate drive, for which the easiest solutuion is to use a RamDisk.

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Hello HTPCSourcer,

MP is writing timeshift files on a disk. these files are then read by the client.
    Let me clarify here one point, not clear to me: does it mean that TV Server is not streaming "live TV" if you said timeshift files are read by the client? In this case I think I dont need any strong HW for TV Server if the HW is used only for TV Server, as was already mentioned above.

Best regards,
    marttoma

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hello HTPCSourcer,

MP is writing timeshift files on a disk. these files are then read by the client.
    Let me clarify here one point, not clear to me: does it mean that TV Server is not streaming "live TV" if you said timeshift files are read by the client? In this case I think I dont need any strong HW for TV Server if the HW is used only for TV Server, as was already mentioned above.

Best regards,
    marttoma

How can MP1 client access the TvServer?
    1. Using UNC path
    2. Using RTSP (stream)
    Neither of them use much CPU on TvServer.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hello HTPCSourcer,

Best regards,
    marttoma

How can MP1 client access the TvServer?
    1. Using UNC path
    2. Using RTSP (stream)

One thing requires much CPU power. Transcoding the stream to Android or IOS client.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...and for completeness...
    If you use an analog tuner that doesn't have hardware encoders, the CPU must be used for encoding the video and audio to MPEG 2 in real time.

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    ow can MP1 client access the TvServer?
    1. Using UNC path
    2. Using RTSP (stream)

One thing requires much CPU power. Transcoding the stream to Android or IOS client
    Thank you.
    Which option do you recommend, or what are advantages of UNC and RTSP?
    Why the transcoding the stream to Andriod or IOS clinets requires much CPU? Andriod or IOS clients cant read ts files?

Adding to the above: even in case of RTSP streams, the timeshift file is written (and time-sensitive).
    OK, I see. Thank you.

...and for completeness...
    If you use an analog tuner that doesn't have hardware encoders, the CPU must be used for encoding the video and audio to MPEG 2 in real time.
    OK, I see, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom