How stable is MediaPortal (2 Viewers)

whatisk

Portal Pro
May 21, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
I've only recently built my HTPC and am using MediaPortal because it is so configurable with it's plugins that I can get it doing exactly what I would like it to do without all the hacks and hassle that MCE would have been.

I'm running the 0.2.2.0 stable build also and haven't come across any issues with it yet!

whatisk

Portal Pro
May 21, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
Interesting as in another forum (Whirlpool) one of the guys said that MediaPortal doesn't record TV which I was positive it did.

Here is a link to it.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=769479&p=2#r24

I haven't actually tried it as yet as I've only just got my TV tuner up and running, but I'm sure it does also.
You can setup where to have recordings go and in the MyTV section there's a button for recording (as well as being able to press record on the remote).

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    This is being actively worked on as we speak, I'm confident this bug will be solved within days (if not already in recent SVN).

December 28, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Interesting as in another forum (Whirlpool) one of the guys said that MediaPortal doesn't record TV which I was positive it did.

Here is a link to it.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=769479&p=2#r24

I don’t know what’s going on there i can recorded 3 channels at once with no problem.

That stability issue arise when you try and run MP as a “background” application. If you set up a PC just for HTPC then u will not have much of a problem.

morphjk

Portal Member
    June 25, 2007
    Home Country
    I will be setting it up as a dedicated machine for HTPC not for anything else. That is why I have another computer for.

doublej

Portal Member
    June 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Gotta say I was just about falling in love with media portal....the style, the integration, and broad functionality...

but before I got to the point of sending money I started to experience horrible crashes - and today I'm quite down about it. I installed the Replicant skin - and the problems began.

Of course, I reisntalled etc with any skins mods....the the whole thing rarely runs for more than 5 mins without falling over. This is on a relativley new build PC too.

Still, I've seen what it CAN do - so I going to stick with it. and try an get it back up.

It's still looking like the best out there. Commerical or free. I've tried the lot.

JJ

NorthernJohn

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2006
    Hopefully on my bike.
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    FWIW, my wife is a big fan of our HTPC. I run 0.2.2.0 with a mid April svn.

What do I like about it? One box does all. Movies, music, DVD, TV, PVR and so on, all through one box.

What does my wife like about it? Specifically, the folder of kids movies. No fumbling around for the Monsters Inc or Jungle Book disc when the kids want to watch it. Also means they don't see us putting discs in and out of a player, therefore we have never had any strange bits of food (or worse) slid into the tray of a DVD player. They just see us wave a remote around in the air and it magically comes on so have no interest at all in the hardware itself. That's got to be worth something!

She and I are also big fans of the last.fm/audioscrobbler integration. Start playing one tune, walk away and let the playlist grow intelligently for you.

Any problems I've had with it is when I've got feature greedy. I'll have it running smoothly and reliably and then decide for some reason that I need to tweak a codec, fiddle with ffdshow filters or try out a new skin. After kicking myself hard when reliability drops, I resort back to out of the box functionality.

Take the plunge and go for it. It's free so what have you got to lose? :D

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What does my wife like about it? Specifically, the folder of kids movies. No fumbling around for the Monsters Inc or Jungle Book disc when the kids want to watch it. Also means they don't see us putting discs in and out of a player, therefore we have never had any strange bits of food (or worse) slid into the tray of a DVD player. They just see us wave a remote around in the air and it magically comes on so have no interest at all in the hardware itself. That's got to be worth something!

That's one of the best comments I have read in a long time, really brought a smile to my face about the reality of younger children, been there, but mine are teenagers now, and just never put anything away instead.

Just wish i'd had a htpc 15 years ago LOL

Cheers and best wishes to you and your family northernjohn

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom