How stable is MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

stryker

Portal Pro
November 20, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Media portal is generally ok. The new tvengine-v3 on multiseat (capture cards in seperate server) has issues, changing channels is a bit of a lottery to if it will change straight away, pause for 30 seconds, or stop working all together, or the tvserver on the server crashes. Then again I'm using SVNs from the end of july so maybe it will improve with the new mp version. However you will need patients.... I've already broke the cdtray flap on my HTPC through throwing the remote at it.

NorthernJohn

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Hopefully on my bike.
Home Country
.... I've already broke the cdtray flap on my HTPC through throwing the remote at it.

Ouch!

Thankfully, I've not had to play with multi seat. I just use the built in TV Engine and have so far found it to be v reliable.

Using SVN on a product that hasn't had a stable build yet (ie, the TV server) I would expect a certain amount of pain.

I feel for your hardware :eek:

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Even te TVengine 3 is pretty stable. New features contain some bugs the first days. But these are solved quickly most of the time.
I've tried the TV server several times, but went back to the internal engine every time until the last time, about a month ago, I've tried it. Setting it up tkes a bit more time but once running it does have it's advantages. Image quality seems to be better. Timeshifting does not stop when switching channels. Recordings can be done in MPEG2 format. Channel switching is a lot faster. And of course.... You need only one computer with TVcard(s), althugh I haven't tried the multiseated configuration yet.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
April 9, 2006
London
Home Country
Personally, I think Media Portal is perfectly stable, even despite the fact I am using SVNs.

Saying that, I believe that the TV part of the program is unstable to the point where I don't/can't use it, but I think that has something to do with the fat I use a cheap TV Card and I don't have the best of tv signals at times.

Other people seem to have had a lot of success with it. Soon I am planning to invest some more time and money on getting a new aerial and better TV card. Hopefully all will end well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom