How to config MPExt for streaming TV over WAN (1 Viewer)

jensnasholm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 21, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi There,

I love this solution and it works great as long as i run the TV clients and server on the same network (192.168.0.xx). Now i have a configuration whereby i run my Android phone, or any other TV Client btw, outside my router and firewall on a completely different network (83.x.x.x). I have turned all firewall stuff off and allowed all traffic through the router...this also works fine as i can connect, watch movies and listen to music over the WAN.

Here comes the challenge though, when trying to connect to the TV Server to watch live TV, it seems to establish a first connection, but after some seconds it fails with a message saying that it tried to connect to 192.168.0.100:554. This is of course the streaming settings from the TVServer that is being pushed outwards to the client...and when it tries to respond to this IP it will of course not work not work.

Can the streaming IP be configured separetely in the MPExtended configuration or should this be changed in the TVServer configuration somewhere? I would like to enter the 83.x.x.x adress as the streaming server, and it would be great if this could be managed separately in the MPExtended config leaving the local solution intact.
    Does this have anything to do with the mas or tas settings in one of the xml files? Sorry about the lack of details but i am at work atm and cannot remember the exact names of the files or settings ;-)

I have tried finding a solution in the other threads but only found something about a upnp setting in the router...but i doubt this is the problem.

Thanks,
    Jens

Last edited:

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Do you use aMPdroid or WebMP?

jensnasholm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 21, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Oxan,

Update to the question, when testing this last night it actually works fine when, in aMPdroid, playing the stream using the "Play" function with a FFmpeg medium for example. The problem only occurs when playing the stream using "Watch RTSP stream" function in aMPdroid.

Maybe this should actually be logged in the aMPdroid section of the forum...

Cheers,
    Jens

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    We literally return the RTSP Url from the TV Server, which indeed points to the internal IP address. I don't think we can actually change that to the external address, as we don't know the external address.

JJenssen

Portal Member
    June 18, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We literally return the RTSP Url from the TV Server, which indeed points to the internal IP address. I don't think we can actually change that to the external address, as we don't know the external address.

Oxan,
    do I get you right, when I say that's why no streaming to a vlc-client on a linux-box is impossible. Both, server + client, are cable bound having a fixed network-address. If so, pls. let me know. I'm trying to get that for several days now.

vlc-logging:

...remote connection opened
    Sending request: OPTIONS rtsp://192.168.x.x:554 RTSP/1.0
    CSeq: 2
    User-Agent: LibVLC/2.0.1 (LIVE555 Streaming Media v2012.05.17)

Received 152 new bytes of response data.
    Received a complete OPTIONS response:
    RTSP/1.0 200 OK
    CSeq: 2
    Date: Tue, Jun 26 2012 15:01:41 GMT
    Public: OPTIONS, DESCRIBE, SETUP, TEARDOWN, PLAY, PAUSE, GET_PARAMETER, SET_PARAMETER

Sending request: DESCRIBE rtsp://192.168.x.x:554 RTSP/1.0
    CSeq: 3
    User-Agent: LibVLC/2.0.1 (LIVE555 Streaming Media v2012.05.17)
    Accept: application/sdp

[0x8dca58] main demux meta debug: looking for meta fetcher module: 1 candidate
    [0x8dca58] lua demux meta debug: Trying Lua scripts in /home/jrgjen/.local/share/vlc/lua/meta/fetcher
    [0x8dca58] lua demux meta debug: Trying Lua scripts in /usr/lib64/vlc/lua/meta/fetcher
    Received 79 new bytes of response data.
    Received a complete DESCRIBE response:
    RTSP/1.0 404 Stream Not Found
    CSeq: 3

Thanks
    JJenssen

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Oxan,
    do I get you right, when I say that's why no streaming to a vlc-client on a linux-box is impossible. Both, server + client, are cable bound having a fixed network-address. If so, pls. let me know. I'm trying to get that for several days now.
    Using RTSP, indeed. You could try to setup a VPN though.

Another option you should consider is installing WebMP and using the Direct streaming profile. That's the same setup I use to get TV on Linux and it works quite good for me.

jensnasholm

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 21, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Sorry Oxan, been on holidays for some time hence the lack of response from my end. Thanks for your help...one option might be to change the IP adress in the TV Server settings to use the "external wan IP" as MPExt would most likely use that IP to broadcast to the clients, and the "internal clients" would work anyway using the "external IP". I won't test this as everything works perfect atm using the "Play" function instead of the "Watch RTSP stream" function in aMPdroid.

Thanks heaps for a great software,
    Jens

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    FYI: Result from some discussion between me and DieBagger (aMPdroid developer) is that this isn't worth fixing, as RTSP over WAN probably isn't really usable - it uses too much bandwidth and is too unstable. Also, the RTSP option might get removed from aMPdroid in the near future.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

There is a "dirty fix" you could try... assuming the TVServer URL has a hostname and not an IP....

Use something like dynamic DNS...eg abcdefg.dynalias.com

Configure this externally to point to your router, which then forwards to your TV server.

Internally you could create a hostname entry for abcdefg.dynalias.com which points to your internal IP of your TVserver

Not sure if that is what you after after?

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom