How to configure plugins in multiseat? (1 Viewer)

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I am running MPExtended and WMP 0.5.3 without any problems in a multiseat setup.
    That is, I have a server which contains all media files and the web server and connect with my HTPC to the server.
    So, the addons used by WMP/MPExtended (e.g. like MPTVSeries and others) are installed on the client and so are their databases.
    I could move the databases to the server, but there are technical reasons why I'd like to avoid that.
    So, what is the best way to have access to the plugin databases from WMP?
    Should I just copy them to the server? This would need a synchronisation from the HTPC to the server to keep the databases up to date.
    As far as I'm aware I cannot install and configure these plugins on a TV-Server-Only setup on the server, can I?

Or is there another, much more suitable solution which I am not aware of?

Thanks!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't use web mp / mpextended much, but I think I can answer this anyway.

MP does not have official multi seat support for shared databases between clients

You can do the following

1. install mpextended on the client and connect to client to serve media (this requires both client + server to be on to stream files)

2. Install tvseries/mov pics on the server, then copy the databases accross and use mpextended via the server (wont synch watch status between client + server, but you only need the server pc on to stream files)

3. use unofficial multiseat database, see wiki
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/20_Reference/Databases/Central_Database

Last edited:

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you.
    I don't want to use solution 1. This would require both PCs to be turned on for the sole purpose of database access.
    Solution 2: You meant "install it on the client" and the copy over, don't you? I'm not aware of how to install plugins in a TV-Server-only installation on the server. This would also require me to copy those databases again, every time I add new media
    Solution 3: I must have a look into this, this sounds by far the most interesting option. Only thing is that I'd have to enable a delay on MP startup/resume as the HTPC automatically wakes the server an it'll take 10-15 seconds after switching on the HTPC until the server is ready.

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you don't want to use MPExtended multiseat, you basically have two options:
    1. Put the databases on a network share, which is accessible by both the client and the server. This causes some instability and database corruption in my experience though.
    2. Regularly copy the databases from the client to the server (this can be automated with a scheduled task and xcopy).

You don't need to install the plugins on the server at all for MPExtended: it only uses the database files, not the actual plugin code.

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you, this is what I thought to do, but I thought there might be more comfortable solutions. But as there's a risk of database corruption on a single DB, I think I'll prefer <our solution, I hate restoring backups ;)

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    No, unfortunately there isn't a better solution yet. I've heard some talk about creating a program which does the database synchronizing, but nothing concrete has been planned yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom