How to improve TV-OUT quality (1 Viewer)

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Hi Ben,

Interesting to read you have no interference problems. The csync signal from the Radeon card was definitely too strong for my TV, and I had to bring the voltage down. I'm not sure whether it would improve your picture if you do put the circuit in.

Here's the page where I found the circuit. And here's a similar discussion.

I'm not at home at the moment, but I'll post my powerstrip settings and a picture of the circuit board tomorrow.

My set definitely has digital processing enabled for RGB in, and I can't disable it (or the 100Hz functionality for that matter).

BennieBoy

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2005
    Maastricht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

Nope, no interference at all, but that can be a TV item.
    I used a good scart cable an soldered the 15 pin CGA connector on it.

I do not think it will make much difference from using a VGA cable and soldering a Scart connector on it ;-)

Thanks in advance for sending the settings and board layout.

Greetz,
    Ben

BennieBoy

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2005
    Maastricht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This does not only sound promising, it is promising and working.
    I'm using it for 5 months now and haven't seen any real problems with it.

You have to solder a cable and fiddle around with Some settings. You really need a second PC for this (connected throught VNC).

Feasable, but not for people with a week heart ;-)
    I'm still looking for someone with the Trust converter Box.

Greetz,
    Ben

upspace

Portal Member
    October 19, 2005
    as i do not have an ATI based card (but nvidia) i cannot use the cable, right? and trust televiewer seems to expensive just to get rgb out.

what do you think about this: Jaton VIDEO117PCI32

http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/details__cat_id--405,prod_id--7671765.html

they promise rgb out, mpeg2 acceleration, rendering with 2D graphical user interface (GUI) acceleration etc. for only around $40

what kind of cards are these? never heard of it. is it a real graphic card or just some accelerator add-on?

bigj

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    upspace said:
    as i do not have an ATI based card (but nvidia) i cannot use the cable, right? and trust televiewer seems to expensive just to get rgb out.

IIRC, the requirement to get valid PAL RGB from VGA is that

a) The video card outputs composite sync (this a sync signal combining H+V syncs).
    b) The video card outputs interlaced.

The ATI cards can do both of these natively (or at least with some tweaking using eg. powerstrip).

The circuit presented earlier in this thread shows how one can generate a composite sync from H+V if it is not being done for you.

However, I think interlacing issue is still there for nvidia.
    Read this:
    http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart/

I built my cable using an H+V compositing circuit - and put the H+V compositing on a switch - if I disable the composite checkbox in powerstrip I lose the TV sync, but I can toggle the switch and voila the TV picture comes back... so it can work.

I'd like to get a passive cooled nvida card that supports the full nvidia HW codec but don't want to give up RGB out. Moving to a modern lcd/plasma/projector with DVI is the real solution I guess.

BennieBoy

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2005
    Maastricht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

All can see on the Jaton card is that it supports RGB-VGA out.
    Nothing to do with the PAL-RGB out we really need on a normal TV.

You can buy sheap ATI based graphic cards too.
    Just be sure it is DirectX 9 compatible.

Greetz,
    Ben

upspace

Portal Member
    October 19, 2005
    @all: thx for your answer.

i know now that there is really no gfx card with divx 9 and rgb out for sdtv :( i don't understand - with htpc there should be a market for such a product? or am i wrong?

this means the only usable "htpc good quality picture solution" will be a lcd/tft/plasma hd ready set :x which is still 1000-2000 euro :?

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    I have a passively cooled gigabyte geforce 6600 GT with analog component HDtv out and DVI. This means that the only users missing out are those using european SD CRT tvs. I dont see this as a big problem as very few new tvs are CRT anymoore.

knnut

aasmund Nordal

Portal Pro
    June 20, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    AberDino

Hi, I have the same tv you have, and I used a powerstrip config from a norwegian guide. I bought a radeon vga to scart cable.
    The picture is much better in one way, its much cleaner, sharper, but it is also unstable in a way,, Its flickerin. (not like a 50hz tv)

I made a closeup video of the text.

http://aasmund.mscon.net/ting/DSCF1414.AVI

Is this the noise you are refering to?

btw: could you give me your powerstrip settings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom