[solved] How to in MP2 (1 Viewer)

jclifford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2020
    Home Country
    England England
    I have just switched from MCE to MP2 and find the Wiki unhelpful in that putting something in the Search box seem to produce only references to MP1.

Could someone tell me how to:

sort the list of recordings/series to order by Title

change the font size in the EPG guide

a way to switch easily to and fro between Windows and MP2 in fullscreen mode?

Or should I change to MP1?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    putting something in the Search box seem to produce only references to MP1
    I would say "It depends". Add mediaportal2 in your search to narrow down the hits.

sort the list of recordings/series to order by Title
    The recordings screen has a context menu where you can set the sorting sort by date or by title.

change the font size in the EPG guide
    You can't.

a way to switch easily to and fro between Windows and MP2 in fullscreen mode
    Subsequent presses of 'Alt-Enter' will cycle between FullScreen -> Window always on top -> Window -> FullScreen.

jclifford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2020
    Home Country
    England England
    Thank you for your help. You have solved my first two problems.

In respect of font-size, I have found that switching skins to WMC helps with readability.

Using ALT-Enter is fine if you have a keyboard but not when using just a remote. But I have a remote incorporating a trackpad and have now found that moving the cursor when in window mode brings up a small Maximise icon at top right which puts MP2 into full-screen mode when clicked (and vice-versa).

My remaining problem seems to be a bug in MP2 but it is difficult to believe that no-one else has come across it.
    When using the remote on any screen in MP2 I get no response when pressing the Back/ESC button. The same button works fine in Windows and WMC on the same computer. I have tried resetting the button in Settings and changing the batteries in the remote and found a workround by moving the cursor to bring up the crumb at top left of the screen and clicking that.

jclifford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2020
    Home Country
    England England
    As I said, I have tried resetting the button and have now tried setting a different button on the remote to Back/ESC but it still does not work.

I forgot to mention that the ESC key on my wireless keyboard works as it should. So it seems that MediaPortal is the only application on my PC which does not respond when it receives a Back/Esc instruction from the USB IR sensor but does respond if the instruction comes from the Microsoft USB wireless transceiver.

I have also checked the behaviour of the MP2 TV Configuration tool and that does not respond either.

Wierd?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have also checked the behaviour of the MP2 TV Configuration tool and that does not respond either.
    I don't understand what you mean . What does not respond?

I forgot to mention that the ESC key on my wireless keyboard works as it should. So it seems that MediaPortal is the only application on my PC which does not respond when it receives a Back/Esc instruction from the USB IR sensor but does respond if the instruction comes from the Microsoft USB wireless transceiver.
    Ah, that's the important piece. If it works with a MS receiver but not with another one then the latter is not 100% compliant with RC6 standards.

Can you please do the following:
    • In the MP2 client
      • set log level to DEBUG in settings
      • press the key(s) that appear to not be working
      • upload the client log here
    • You may also download HID Demo press the keys in question on your device and post a screenshot of the software's output.

jclifford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2020
    Home Country
    England England
    I am sorry that my last message was too compressed. I will try what you suggest and in the meantime here is an expanded version:

So it seems that MediaPortal does not respond when it receives a Back/Esc instruction from my remote control via a USB IR sensor (infrared >300GHz) but does respond if the instruction comes from a wireless keyboard via a Microsoft USB wireless transceiver (microwave 2.4GHz). I have used the remote for 8 years to control MCW and I know that the Back/ESC button also works on the same computer in Windows Explorer and Firefox.

I have also checked the behaviour of the MP2 TV Configuration tool by entering a sub-menu and then pressing the Back/ESC button on the remote and get no response - as happens in the MP2 main program (running Server and Client on the same computer).

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have tried resetting the button and have now tried setting a different button on the remote to Back/ESC but it still does not work.
    Are you using a remote control that sends keyboard shortcuts (such as the Ortek VRC-1100 or the Hama equivalent)? The problem with these remote controls is that they send WMC keyboard shortcuts; they do not send MP keyboard shortcuts.

Now various of the keyboard shortcuts are identical between WMC and MP, but not all. In particular the "Back" (or "Return") function that means "return to previous menu" is the ESC key in MP, but is the BACKSPACE key in WMC. Could this be the origin of the problem?

Here is a test that you can try:

(1) Start Notepad with a new file.
    (2) Using the keyboard, type numeric digits.
    (3) Without moving the cursor, press the ESC key on the keyboard. What happens?
    (4) Now press the BACK button on the remote. What happens?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

jclifford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2020
    Home Country
    England England
    Thank you, CyberSimian.

In your experiment, the keyboard ESC key did nothing but the remote Back button performed a backspace, deleting the last character typed (numeric or alphabetic).

I believe my remote is by Hama. When I bought it, on Amazon, it was called "Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control", but it now seems to be called "
    Hama MCE Remote Control".

Should I buy a different remote - if there is one at reasonable cost?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Should I buy a different remote - if there is one at reasonable cost?
    No the Hama/Ortek works absolutely OK in MP 2 as long as it is set up correctly, it it what I use.
    As a sanity check if you go the settings and down to "Input Devices" and "Function Shortcuts" then press a button on the device you want to map (important that is the Hama remote not the KB) and check the ESC is mapped to Back as shown in the attached screenshot.
    esc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom