How to setup EPG for cable box on composite port? (1 Viewer)

Dukenukemx

Portal Pro
October 10, 2009
Been trying to get EPG for my cable box hooked up through the composite port on my Hauppauge HVR 1290. I have XmlTv setup with mc2xml to download my local TV guide. I believe IR Server Suite needs channels to be able to change the cable box at all, and yes I believe I have it setup correctly.

EPG is a nightmare, I've been at this all day. How do I get EPG for a cable box hooked up through composite?

Dukenukemx

Portal Pro
October 10, 2009
I just started to manually add them and then used XmlTV to map them to whatever mc2xml downloaded. It works, but I only have 34 out of what, hundreds of channels to map? Isn't there an easier way to do this? Besides convincing Cablevision to not be a dick and let me use my tuner to change channels instead?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    nope, you only need to do it once, after you do it export/backup the channel list and store it on a different PC so that you never have to do it again.

Dukenukemx

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2009
    Can this channel list also be used for MythTV if I export it? Also the EPG doesn't seem to be working. Followed this guide and when I look under EPG it shows no data. I'm downloading from Microsoft source.

Any other free EPGs I can use for North America?

**EDIT**
    Turns out some do load up under EPG. Just a whole lot don't. Not sure why.

Last edited:

Cruzer

Portal Pro
    February 16, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've been using exactly what you are trying to do for several years for my Dish Network box. However, I don't have lots of channels that I actually want in my EPG. This should work.

Here are some suggestions. Only grab data for the channels you want. Create the mc2xml.chl file with the channels that you wish to grab the data for. Also, I find if you name the channels the same as what they are called in the retrieved xml file, then you won't have to manually map all them (not that big a deal though).

If you're getting some of the data but not all of it, I suspect that you may not have them mapped correctly in the xmltv mappings. Look in the retireved data to make sure that the data is present there. Let me know if there is anything else I can provide to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom