How to sort albums by year AND alphabetically in the same year (1 Viewer)

PierreLo

Portal Pro
September 7, 2004
France
Agreed it is not a "bug", but I wouldn't call it a "new feature" either.
Let's call it an "enhancement" to an existing feature :D

Now I was thinking again about this "enhancement"... Hwahrmann said results are displayed in the order the database returns them.
So my next question is : Is there a way to know what this order is ? I assume there is some kind of "logic" behind this, which I would like to know, so I can do something to get the albums displayed right. I suppose the DB always returns results consistenly, i.e according to the same default rules (I say this as I noticed the 5 discs are always shown in the same wrong order, so there seems to be a certain "rule" there from the DB).

And do you think that removing all 5 albums from the DB and then reintroducing them one by one and opening MP after each new addition would help ?

(For information, I checked inside the DB with an editor, and discs were correctly sorted there)

Thanks for your help.

PierreLo:cool:

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    yeah the albums were sorted correctly because you didn't apply a sort to it.
    it really depends on db optimisation. there's no rule of thumb how they are returned.
    i will have a look to fix it for the final release.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Found the problem.
    It is not, how we retrieve the data from the database. The SQL is ok.
    We apply a sort within MP afterwards.

Fixed it, however i have a small problem.
    As long as you sort on Year Ascending, everything is fine now.

But when you decide sorting the year Decsending, so that the most current Album is on top of the list, then the Albums within the year are also sorted descending.
    Can't figure out currently, if this would be easily fixable.

Edit: Nevermind. Only took me 3 minutes to find out how it can be fixed. Will be available in next RC or final.

PierreLo

Portal Pro
    September 7, 2004
    France
    Hwahrmann,

Great news !

Vielen Dank für deine Hilfe :D

I just ripped my collection of ACDC albums, and I often have two albums in the same year (Australian and European versions), so this fix will really help !
    I hope it can be implemented in next RC :D

Ciao

PierreLo:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom