HowTo: Aufnahme und Timeshift auf NAS (1 Viewer)

Doctor Gonzo

Portal Member
January 30, 2012
Hi Luca,
your NAS seems to be the source of the problem. Seems to be too "slow".
In our household we have a tv Server and 4 clients spread over 4 levels of our house. The server records to a QNAP NAS. We have never experienced any stutter accessing the recordings. Our LAN is not the fastest since the "backbone" is based on Devolo dLan 500 adapters.
I would suggest a reasonable QNAP or Synology (at the moment they have the quiter ones) NAS.
Regarding the UNC paths question: I assume per default the tv server accesses the recordings via UNC paths and then streams the recordings to the clients. So stream handling and management is done by the server. If you configure UNC path usage on the clients they would access the NAS directly and you would loose the central handling by the server (but you would probably gain a little performace boost). I would recommend sticking to the central access handling.
Cheers
Oliver
P.S.: I am running MP 1.4

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No worries man :)
    Vielen Dank für deine Antworten.
    Also mein NAS (WHS mit G630) dürfte es nicht sein... In der Schreibleistung auf den Share bin ich über 100MB und das Netzwerk macht netto um die 900mbit. Das müsste dann eher in den Latenzen o.ä. liegen. Ich habe gestern noch einen Multimediabench für NAS von Intel entdeckt, den teste ich mal.
    Regarding the UNC paths question: I assume per default the tv server accesses the recordings via UNC paths and then streams the recordings to the clients. So stream handling and management is done by the server. If you configure UNC path usage on the clients they would access the NAS directly and you would loose the central handling by the server (but you would probably gain a little performace boost). I would recommend sticking to the central access handling.
    Hmhmhm... Da kommt mir doch gerade in den Sinn, dass es vllt gerade daran liegt... Der Server greift natürlich per UNC auf den Share zu, verteilt aber an die Clients per rtsp. Vielleicht entsteht da ein Flaschenhals. Ich wüsste keinen Vorteil aus dem "central handling"...?
    Ich test mal beides und berichte zurück, vllt kommt was wertvolles für dein Tut bei rüber.
    Das mit dem Timeshift seh ich ja immer noch sehr kritisch, hast du mal mit einem auf ner Ramdisk vergleichen?

Doctor Gonzo

Portal Member
    January 30, 2012
    Bin auf Dein Testergebnis gespannt.
    Ramdisk habe ich noch nicht ausprobiert. Brauche aktuell jedes GB RAM. Der Timeshiftbuffer liegt auf ner SSD direkt im Server (der eigentlich mehr HTPC-TV-Gaming-Alles-Wohnzimmer-PC ist). Nicht so richtig SSD-schonend, aber NAS war mir von den Reaktionszeiten zu lahm. Beim Aufnahmen gucken zappe ich nicht so viel rum. Da ist NAS ok.

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Testen klappt gar nicht... Das intel-tool bekomm ich auf win 8 nicht zum laufen und das mit rtsp war auf single-seat natürlich n hirnfurz.
    Zum timeshift: SSD hatte ich auch schon dafür benutzt, Aber erst mit RAM ne Verbesserung im Vergleich zu HDD registriert. Mich wundert die Konstruktion aus dem Tud mit TS auf nas eben.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom