Howto: Mediaportal with Vista (1 Viewer)

damaster

Portal Pro
November 23, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
I'd like to bump this thread and have 2 questions:
- How many people have managed to use eloo's vLite session/configuration successfully? How stable is Vista modified as such. eloo, did you also include all the hotfixes? I'm still learning how to use vLite and wanna make sure I don't mess my OS install up.
- What are the issues with S3 in Vista?

Thanks

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What are the issues with S3 in Vista

As I said previously, works fine under Vista's default "balanced" power setting, but seems to totally screw up if using the "high performance" setting.

I have actually changed every setting on Performance mode to the same as balanced, and it still reboots because it has crashed.

Would like to know more about this, but have not got the time at this moment to investigate further, so if someone in the know should happen to write a few words then it would be appreciated.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    I know of several cases where the PCs were set using any of the 3 options.
    Make sure, if you use the S3 functions, that you have a valid and current disc image.
    The up coming SP1 for Vista fixes some of these issues.
    (I have managed to nuke a PC set to use the 'balanced' option. In this case vista decided to screw up a big chunk of the system DLLs!!)

IMHO it might be a caching issue as I've seen registry errors crop up after a non fatal (though stil required) reboot, and monitoring the contents of the memory after a sucessful resume.
    Vista seems to have an annoying habit of not closing files down properly or caching the memory when dropping to S3.

I'd wait for official SP for more testing...

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    If anyone is interested, I managed to reduce a 3+ GB Vista image to 1.3GB, by removing a whole lot of Vista components using vLite. In addition, after Vista was installed, I turned off a lot of Vista services, and did various tweaks to improve performance. I now have MediaPortal running and Vista is very stable. I also put together a step-by-step guide for the software configuration that could be used by anyone building an HTPC.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    If anyone is interested, I managed to reduce a 3+ GB Vista image to 1.3GB, by removing a whole lot of Vista components using vLite. In addition, after Vista was installed, I turned off a lot of Vista services, and did various tweaks to improve performance. I now have MediaPortal running and Vista is very stable. I also put together a step-by-step guide for the software configuration that could be used by anyone building an HTPC.

Remember that reducing Vista or XP components MediaPortal is not going to run any more stabler than before as there isn't any component in the Windows itself that could reduce the stability of MP. There are either two things that could happen

1) Nothing. MP runs as good as before.
    2) You could disable some component that MP depends on and that could cause some oddities in the long run after MP tries to use some service that isn't available in the system anymore.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i installed MP onto Vista 32-bit a while back and had MAJOR problems installing things due to the UAC and not-being-logged-in-under-ADMIN-ACCOUNT ....it got to the point where it i couldnt install or uninstall things..i totally wiped the system after figuring out what i did wrong in the first place..heres what u do :

1. Install Vista (im using ultimate)
    2. GO DIRECTLY TO SAFE MODE. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to SAFE MODE.
    3. TURN ON ADMIN ACCOUNT
    4. TURN OFF UAC
    5. DELETE YOUR (just created by install) USER ACCOUNT
    6. GO BACK TO NORMAL BOOTUP

once back in vista u have full access and ZERO issues as far as the crappy popups about allow/deny
    u can install/uninstall normally

from that point on u install just as u would normally on XP..getting vista drivers of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom