HTPC behind a wall -> cut/reconnect cables? (1 Viewer)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi guys, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a HTPC at the other side of a wall and drill a hole just big enough for the cables by cutting/reconnecting because of the connectors.

My guess:
    - audio: no problem if it's analogue
    - power for display: no problem
    - video: guess that d-sub/vga would be possible - or not? What about dvi or hdmi?
    - usb remote: no idea, would use and extension cord and cut that one

Your ideas on this are very welcome!

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi guys, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a HTPC at the other side of a wall and drill a hole just big enough for the cables by cutting/reconnecting because of the connectors.

My guess:
    - audio: no problem if it's analogue
    - power for display: no problem
    - video: guess that d-sub/vga would be possible - or not? What about dvi or hdmi?
    - usb remote: no idea, would use and extension cord and cut that one

Your ideas on this are very welcome!
    audio: no problem if it's analogue---agree
    power for display: no problem agree
    video: guess that d-sub/vga would be possible - or not? What about dvi or hdmi? yikes! cut and splice controlled impedance cable???
    usb remote: no idea, would use and extension cord and cut that one -- Same comment...
    Not saying it won’t work, it might, just saying that I had enough trouble getting a HDMI cable that properly passed the EDID data that I would not introduce a splice..
    The ends on the last two are fairly small, drill a big hole and avoid problems, ...
    see this link for some detail on the design of HDMI cable
    What's the Matter with HDMI? -- Blue Jeans Cable

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    you don't want to cut a hole that is barely large enough for the cable, and you don't want to have to cut and join cables together.

If you cut a hole large enough for a kettle plug to go through, you should then be able to slip a HDMI connector through that hole along side the power cable. Then you should still have enough space for a USB connector to slip through. That's all you really need for a setup, audio is handled by HDMI, if it isn't then again, there should still be room in that ~30mm diamater hole for a 3.5" jack or a single phono plug at a time.

you shouldn't need more than 30-35mm diameter for all that.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I agree, 1 single hole big enough for the plugs themselves to go through, there are more than enough grommets now available to tidy the hole up afterwards if necessary if it is not hidden by TV.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Thanks guys for your input! ;)
    I really thought it would be possible to cut/reconnect the cables :oops: and I agree that it the hole doesn't have to be that big but I might go for a mini (asrock ion 330) kinda system and attach it to the back of the screen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom