htpc cases (1 Viewer)

TLD

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Rainy Washington
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi i've been checking out MP before building a htpc (great program, Thanks) anyway i've been looking at cases and cant seem to find one that will fit in the space i have - 17" W X 17" deep with room for a ATX motherboard, 12 cm fans and 4 HDs, for raid 5. I'm on a budget and don't want to spend more than $200.00 on a case, would be nice to get one for around $100.00. i'd rather spend more on TV and video cards.
Anybody have any ideas..

coopers

Portal Pro
November 8, 2005
Adelaide
Home Country
Sorry TLD, you're asking too much.

The only case I know of with 120mm fans is the Antec Fusion, and it will not fit 4 HD's.

I have done extensive research. :)

Basically the best you can hope for is 2x80mm fans in a case, and maybe some extra fans for intake/etc, unless you go the fusion.

Maybe if you wait a year some nice htpc case manufacturer will build something like you suggested, I would love to see that too.

Also $200 is very low for a HTPC case, you are talking bottom end here, so you're unlikely to get a case with quiet fans/good design/pretty aesthetics for that kind of cash. You might do alright buying second hand.

If you're super keen on this configuration, you could try doing a case mod yourself.

Also, given that 2x80mm fans seems the biggest (do NOT go 2x60mm, unless you like noise) currently around you can help yourself out by buying a PSU with a 120mm fan, to move more air.

Anyway, basically I wanted exactly what you want, and found that this is the best:
http://www.origenae.com/en/htpc_s16v.htm

Although very expensive. Silverstone make cases with similar specs that have smaller VFD's and don't look as good (which is subjective), but they cost less.

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi TLD;

I have the Antec Fusion that coopers mentioned. It is a very good case, although with space for 3 HDs, not four. I guess you could fit a fourth if you remove the DVD-player.

With the 120mm fans it is very quite and I even replaced the fans with Noctua 120mm fans to make it virtually noise-less.

Also only a mATX fit in this chassi.

/Peter

AlcoNaft

Portal Member
    October 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I have 3 HD in Antec Fusion, but I don't think it is a good idea.... Anyway they produce noise, for example on very high freq (all HDD SAMSUNG). My next step will be dedicated fileserver somewhere in closet and gigabit network. HTPC should have solid-state disk, 4-8 Gb is enough for XP and MP. May be for the first time for you will be enough Antec Fusion with 3 HD (and RAID-5, if you need it). Later you can build dedicated fileserver.
    PS Don't use SATA low price card for RAID-5.

Topher5000

Portal Pro
    April 5, 2006
    I've got an nMedia 280 case. It holds 3 HDDs, has a fan for them, has 2 60mm case fans & a display. It only takes an matx mobo, though. The 2 60mm fans are silent. The loudest part is the CPU fan. I paid about $180 CAD for it a while back & am very happy. I couldn't get the 400w PSU to work though, so I'd get it without it. They don't make the 280 anymore, but the 288 is similar.
    They do have a few new cases that take atx boards. I don't know how many HDDs they hold, though.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    Thanks for the input, i would like to have 120mm fans as i find them much quieter then 80 mm fans. Have 120mm fans in the last two cases i bought.
    I looked at the Antec Fusion but it's two wide for the space i have for the component and i was going to use the asus A8N-SLI Premium mother board, X2 4400+ And ram i have in the htpc and get another mother board, CPU and newer ram for one of the boxes i already have, The asus A8N-SLI Premium is a silent mother board.

I think i will just use the black mid tower Lian Li case i have for now and buy a server case for the new mother board, CPU and ram along with a new silent Video card and another tv card..

I'll keep looking for a htpc case maybe someone will come out with one that will fit my needs later..

Thanks for the help..

Koadic

November 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Here is a fairly inexpensive case around $130 after shipping that I have just recently purchased and hope to get put together soon. It measures 17" x 5.3" x 16.5" (W x H x D). Although it only has 3 internal 3.5in bays, it will fit a full atx motherboard, and, as suggested earlier, you could put a fourth in the 5.25in bay. It doesn't come with a power supply but it does includes a card reader and a vista compatible remote and ir reciever (or you can use the bracket to install your own receiver, as i think it is made for the xp mce receiver.) It is also available in silver but the black is on sale at the moment. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811204026

sgt_boink

Portal Member
    January 31, 2008
    Home Country
    I ended up with a Zalman HD160 - plenty room for drives and with a bit a work on the GPU fan absolutely quit. It would fit your space requirements, maybe not your budget as it's over $200 :-D. But, you're asking a lot.

Redth

Portal Member
    July 3, 2007
    I'm going to buy the Antec NSK-2400 ($100 version of the fusion). From the pictures it really looks like i can squeeze in a 4th drive somewhere (maybe above the PSU). I'm going to give this a try. I'll concur, there are no mATX cases that hold > 3 drives without losing your DVD drive. Though most I'd say you can probably do some creative modding and fit a 4th drive in somewhere.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    The Antec NSK-2400 is 17.5 Wide which will not fit in the 17" space i have. The Zalman HD160 will fit the bill but 80mm fans & the price :eek: but i may go with it anyway after i save some more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom